View Single Post
Zoomj
Old 05-09-2011 , 13:01   Re: [Tutorial] Creating brush entities
Reply With Quote #44

it might be the spawnflags stopping it from working, according the the devwiki:
Quote:
1024 : Use Activates - Using +use (Default: E) on this button will trigger it.
although i'm still not so sure whether this will work as intended, remember this method doesn't work for all entities, and the flexibility with the ones it does work with is limited. for such a button, it might be worth trying prop_physics, you'll be able to see a visual model and it also provides a +use output if the spawn flags are set correctly (see top of props_shared.h).

Quote:
i have an idea how to be able to rotate the brushes using a custom model
care to explain ? i've been trying to get rotations working for a while now, i've tried just about everything i could think of using solid types, flags and surrounding bounds properties but i can't seem to get it. i thought i had it a moment ago, but just realized that rotations work when the rotated angle happens to align perfectly with the world axis (0, 90, 180, 270, 360).. that was cruel whenever they don't align it just creates a bounding box around the whole area that does align (or appears to). i did find something curious on the devwiki which i'm going to test in a bit, but i'm doubtful at this point (also limiting it to such an entity makes me need to install sdkhooks or something.. and it's not a brush haha).
Quote:
prop_dynamic entities set to SOLID_NONE are upgraded to SOLID_OBB and FSOLID_NOT_SOLID when Spawned so that the bounding box will properly rotate.
anyway, thanks for posting this method blodia.