View Single Post
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 10-13-2016 , 12:50   Re: TF2 Crashing After Update
Reply With Quote #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottiger View Post
I tried using the custom folder a long time ago and it didn't work for some reason. Maybe it is fixed now?
This was already noted, but I would like to reiterate. Using the 'custom' is the preferred and supported way to override gamedata. In older SM versions (< 1.6?), it was not possible to do for a single gamedata file, only for ones that use folders (ex. sdktools.games, sdkhooks.game), but that has long been fixed.

Quote:
I know that tf2items isn't a part of sm, but sourcemod is still overwriting the gamedata as though it was an official extension.
The updater actually updates for more unofficial extensions than official - just for ones maintained by the SM core team or that the team feels comfortable updating in a pinch.

Quote:
I think it would be convenient to automatically have gdc automatically download the updates from the Steam depot and automatically update the gamedata. And then if there were any issues then someone could go back and manually override them.
It would be very convenient, but there are multiple things that preclude it, including work on getting reliable offsets in gdc (such as by importing some of asherkin's vtable.js work), the capability of actually writing to or altering a gamedata file in gdc, hooking it up to actually be able to commit changes back to the repo, and having a way to trigger the updater to update it's gamedata cache automatically after the changes. Even after all of that, there is still some manual action, such as finding new signatures or symbols, find new offsets that aren't just used for virtual functions, handling optional game updates, etc.

A lot of work would be involved in improving it, and while a huge improvement, there would still be flaws and manual action. It's probably worth doing at some point, but time isn't infinite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato Uno View Post
You know guys, it would be easier to find which functions' gamedata went stale if the console wasn't spammed up the ass with "Plugin not runnable". You can't even see in the console the SetFailState message due to bad gamedata because the spam of useless not runnable errors kicks it off the top of the srcds console in a matter of seconds (and the error log is full of 5+ MB of this bullshit).
I can understand your frustration, and it's a two-way street. It is only triggered by plugins that have issues, but the errors should have been more meaningful at the least. Ideally, they wouldn't show up at all, the old behavior. That's why this was fixed a week or two ago in the stable branch.