View Single Post
joaquimandrade
Veteran Member
Old 05-04-2012 , 22:45   Re: The art of signature scanning
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAvenger View Post
Aa that explains it! Thought it was a bit counter-intuitive at first, but I guess it all makes
sense in the end. I also wanted to ask you a bit about you're detouring implementation though.

Right now my detouring implementation works flawlessly (for _cdecl and _thiscall, haven't
tried _stdcall) but there is one improvement I want to implement. I program in pure C++;
I use no globals and enclose everything in classes (what a bitch to program in the HLSDK )

The problem is that I haven't been able to implement my 'hook' (jmp call) to supply a 'this'
pointer, which would enable class methods as 'hooks' instead of using static/global functions.

I could just skim through the Orpheu source, but I wanted to ask you in person. How have
you dealt with the problem? I'm not sure if I can just push a this pointer (as the last argument
since it's GCC convention) or if I need to solve the problem with a completely different approach?

EDIT: And I also must ask; do you prefer AT&T or Intel ASM syntax ?
It depends on how you are doing your code but what I would do would be to make a jump to a static function, have the object of your class in a global, and call it from the function, because if you want to make assembly code to make a thiscall you would need to provide the address of the function but I think that compilers don't allow to do that for non static member functions if you know what I mean. Anyway answering to the question of "i can just push a this pointer", of course you can that's what calling conventions are for.

About the syntax of question I haven't really created much code with them. In fact I only did it for orpheu and it was small code and the greater difference would be related to how compilers handle inline assembly than assembly itself so I don't have an answer sorry