View Single Post
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 04-30-2010 , 00:14   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked_ View Post
Entertainment.

Having STEAM_0:1:1337 for your Steam ID brings just as much satisfaction as a VIP plugin. This community happens to have dozens of VIP plugins.
I see it as no fun whatsoever. Who has fun by having a "cool" SteamID when you never really see it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupok View Post
That's a good point. Do you have any ideas? For example, I might accept reports from server admins that I know personally.
The internet is a big place

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupok View Post
What are the uses of a name-changing plugin?

You can use it to distinguish the admins or special people on your server. You can give yourself and friends novelty steamids. You can also use it to hide your steamid from other players. There are many good uses, if you have some imagination. The fact that it can ease screwing with banlists is coincidental. It's the fault of the SteamBans authors for using an unreliable report, not the fault of users who decide to change their steamids.

First you created a big system that relies on unreliable reports, hoping that no one finds out how unreliable they are. Now you're upset that the reports have been shown to be completely unreliable.
1. A name is something that is easily identifiable in-game while playing. Who memorizes more than one SteamID? Not me. I don't even know my own without looking it up.
2. Same reply as mine for Wrecked.
3. I don't know the technicallities of SteamBans but what is there that is more reliable than the one unique thing that identifies each person individually? Nothing? SteamID is the best thing you've got available (obviously not perfect but what else is there?).