View Single Post
aron9forever
Veteran Member
Old 09-06-2017 , 14:44   Re: HLDS Windows 10
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
Really? I can understand that it may be easier to manage a server version of windows and it comes with other functionalities that makes it easy to integrate for example exchange and similar software into a company infrastructure but would it really affect the raw performance of a 3d party application? I find that really hard to believe. I mean, these are basic CPU operations which I assume bypasses the operating system, at least at a version specific level. If so, why can't this logic be applied on games as well? Then everyone should have Windows Server because it "unlocks the potential of the hardware". That's just weird. But please do explain if I have mistunderstood.
I'm not saying there isn't an issue in the operating system that has to be corrected, I just find it hard to believe that the server version of windows is the only solution to that problem.
lol thats stupid HLDS probably runs best on either XP or server 2003

@OP the windows media tip is supposed to unlock the system's timer up to 1000hz, but again this is a tip from the XP days so it might not do anything on 10
useless small optimizations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
On a map that is 512x512x128 units you end up with 3,355,443,200,000 different "positions". To store each one of those positions individually in the variable "user_or" you need 12 terabytes of memory.