View Single Post
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 06-09-2007 , 18:08   Re: Your ES vs SMM benchmark

The arguments pointed out in the SM vs. ES article also validate the contrary of what matti posted on that thread. Pointed out that performance does matter, while ES is more wide spread it's because there's more existing scripts with it.

The SM vs ES argument can be compared to the following (old) argument as well: Xbox (1) vs. PS2 (not 3), on the xbox's initial release it was/is the more powerful machine than the PS2, but so many people said "well it won't beat the PS2 because ps2 has a larger game library". Last I checked I know more people who own an Xbox or even Xbox 360 than own a PS2

And while mattie himself says EventScripts should only be used for simple functionality in his development process he doesn't take into consideration that it is utilized in a significantly more complex way, and it *should* have significantly more optimization for what people DO use it for. (Have you checked out many GunGame or WC3 servers there are lately?)

He *CAN* optimize it, I'm not questioning mattie's ability, he just refuses to do so.

Also take into consideration the business implications of utilizing SourceMod over EventScripts, as sourcemod requires significantly less processing power, and operates in a significantly faster form, it means less server machine purchases, more game servers per machine, increased stability per game server, and a number of other things. From a business stand-point, the game server providers will make a profit from supporting SourceMod, due to the processing power ES takes up they can't house as many (software) servers per machine, it signifiantly limits the abilities of the server machine.

Lets say you have 5 32 men servers all running gungame, a complex script, typical execution (guestimation) is 5-20 MS, now you have the 32 men source servers all full, each of them tacking on another 5-20 ms per server process on the processor. That's an "ouch" for the server machine. Yes generally servers can handle significantly more than this, but this was an example.

Only ask for support in plugin threads.

TunedChaos.com - Precision Tuned Game Servers