View Single Post
stupok
Veteran Member
Old 05-01-2010 , 19:44   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
FYI, nobody on the internet can be trusted. So your idea of accepting stuff from only trusted servers is ridiculuous.
It's not ridiculous at all, you're just exaggerating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
This is a non-discussion as there is no chance I will allow it on this site.
Thank you for being open to a discussion on this topic. It's nice to have moderators like you and devicenull that are not too closed-minded to tolerate such a discussion.

Summary of the thread, because who wants to read the whole thing?

1. Steamid changers harm no one, except SteamBans.
2. SteamBans has had this problem for a long time and will continue having this problem, regardless of whether or not steamid changers are posted on this site.

So, it's clear that censoring steamid changers helps SteamBans in the short term, so it's fine that you guys are censoring it now (even though it was rude to do it without any explanation). However, censorship does nothing for the long term.

I see two possible situations where even devicenull would allow posting steamid changers:

1. When SteamBans banlists have many false reports and stop being useful.
2. When SteamBans enhances reliability of steamid reports to the point where steamid changers do not significantly affect their reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
Deception and identity theft are not values I want in our community.
What? Hold your horses.

I'll grant you deception, but calling this "identity theft" is taking it too far. I can see server admins posing as other players by using false steamids. In this case, who cares? Players don't typically care about the steamids in the first place. Also, you're fooling only the players that visit your server, at best. Services like Steam Friends and knowledge about changeable steamids would null the deception.

The most important thing to realize here is that censorship makes deception easier. People would not be fooled if they were made aware of how easy it is to change steamids. Deception is much more effective when plugins like Joaquim's steamid replacer are censored. When they are censored, less people will know that steamids can be changed, so they will trust steamids more than they should.