View Single Post
asheroto
Old 12-29-2020 , 19:08   Re: seDirector [6.4.0] - Windows srcds manager, auto-updater, crash notifications + m
Reply With Quote #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfxD View Post
can anyone help me? i'm new on windows srcds and everytime i close my remote desktop connection on my computer, people will have on the top of the screen the "connection problem" notice, the connection freeze for some seconds or people get dropped from the server, srcds is still running and not crashing.

- dedicated server not vps
- windows server 2012 r2
- seDirector
Hi there,

I've seen this happen on some types of servers, especially Server 2012 R2. Microsoft changed the way it handles graphics in RDP since then and I haven't heard of any problems reported with 2016/2019. The problem is that when you log into the computer with RDP, the graphics don't seem to fully initialize as compared to when you log in locally. If you log in locally (or through another software like VNC/Team Viewer), the problem doesn't seem to occur. You can even log in with RDP afterwards, but it's like you must log in locally first for the graphics to fully initialize. As mentioned, something with the way Microsoft deals with RDP in Server 2012 R2.

Short answer: you have to actually log in to the computer either locally or remotely and type the username/password FIRST, then you can use RDP.

There are three workarounds that we've found so far.

Workaround 1 (use another remote control software at least to start up):
1 - Install VNC, Team Viewer, or some type of software other than RDP to connect remotely
2 - Restart the computer and do NOT connect with RDP
3 - Connect with the alternate remote software you have
4 - Log in
5 - Once logged in, feel free to log in with RDP if desired

Workaround 2:
1 - Have your computer automatically log in on startup
2 - Optionally, have the computer automatically lock so nobody can just walk up to it (put that shortcut in Start->Programs->Startup
3 - Restart the computer and wait a bit to allow it to auto login and then use RDP to connect

Workaround 3:
1 - If you have physical access, log in, then use RDP afterwards

Last edited by asheroto; 12-29-2020 at 19:10.