View Single Post
agrif
Old 01-14-2010 , 13:50   Re: Automatic Bot Names
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by exvel
i think it is the botprofile.db in the mod directory
I couldn't find such a file in my server install, just now. I'm also sure that my server is up to date. Maybe TF2 doesn't do this?

Besides, the TF2 smartbots seem to ignore the normal bot commands for the most part, including bot_randomnames, so I doubt even if this file existed it would do what I want.

I ran a fulltext search on all the files in my server directory for the bot names, and only the server shared libraries came up. I suppose with some hackery you could change them there, in the binary, but you'd be limited by number to about the same number of names as is already there. My plugin is less hackish and easier to do.

Also, the bot_randomnames setting seems to be truly random. That is, it can assign the same name to two concurrent bots, which is not desirable. In contrast, my plugin isn't truly random. Instead, it shuffles the name order every map load, when it reloads the names. This way, as long as you have more names in the file than bots in the server, no two bots will have the same name.

(You can, in extreme cases, still get one name on two bots. For example, if you keep adding and removing bots, you'll eventually get back to the first bot name. This is not a normal use case though.)

I looked for ages to find such a list of bot names that I could change. You'd expect there to be one. But I don't think there is one for TF2.