View Single Post
thEsp
BANNED
Old 04-02-2020 , 07:38   Re: AlliedModders post @mention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDeviL View Post
It isn't really useful at all, but more the oppositeIf the user wants to read your message, (s)he will do so regardless of your @mention.
Wrong. Post @mention is supposed to notify people, not to force them to read your message. Sometimes forums are more active and your threads can easily be buried. Personally speaking, in those cases I mark the forum as read.

Quote:
Not really, -

It opens up the quite a bit of motivation for users to violate for example the bumping rules, together with spamming with the poke/mention system to cause someone else's attention more quickly, which would also be extremely rude from your (or anyone else's) side to do.
Not really, either -

AlliedModders has always had problems with people making unexpected bumps. In fact this applies to most online forums. I can't even think of any online community that has a notification system but doesn't feature toggles for it. Basically, add an option for people to snooze a certain person or simply disable notifications. Think of Facebook or Youtube for example.

Quote:
People are already per default being subscribed to the threads they make (or post in), so there is no reasons for the @mention crap.
Seems I have to create another email just for this reason... I'm sorry, but what? Who the heck does check emails these days? Most average people don't bother about reading their feed. Nowadays email get easily flood. Wake up please, we are in 2020.

This forum should be improved, not impaired, and believe me, there are many aspects it could easily be improved.