View Single Post
slmclarengt
Veteran Member
Location: The Cookie Jar... or Pullman, WA (Washington State University)
Old 12-02-2007 , 02:36   Re: New Hard Drive, but old data
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller View Post
Do this

When you install Ubuntu let it install grub.

Then when you load up with Grub, it will (hopefully) give you the option to get into your vista partitation cause Vista uses a different boot loader then XP

Look for a program called "EasyBCD". This will restore your vista bootloader, add your XP and ubuntu partitions (you will probably have to use "NeoGrub" for ubuntu loading) and bam you have a windows boot loader that will triple boot your system quite nicely (i use vista + ubuntu with the vista bootloader by the exact program im talking about).

I almost lost my partitions but was able to find them again using the vista recovery console cause I was so scared of grub screwing up my boot loader that when I installed ubuntu I told it to not install boot loader under advanced options. So I highly suggest you dont do that and just let grub load so you can get into your vista partition and use EasyBCD.
I actually have used all of those except I really don't want to go through 2 different bootloader screens (Grub --> Vista). I think I will stick with XP and Vista for now because I know that works then maybe in the future, Ubuntu + other two.

Thank you for the good advice, Grub and mine first experiences together ended miserably in ruining my partitions a FEW times :-\ so I'm hesitant to use it with my desktop. My laptop works well with it though.

Slmclarengt

Come play WC3:FT on BnD Clan Server! You know you want to: Connect to WC3:FT BnD - go ahead click me!

Last edited by slmclarengt; 12-02-2007 at 02:39.