View Single Post
goodman3
Old 06-24-2018 , 06:03   Re: Is more than 32 players possible ?
Reply With Quote #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solokiller View Post
Increasing the maximum player count would require at the very least these changes:
  • Increase size of clients list in the engine
  • Change engine code to send indices with more bits (client & server)
  • Change every line of code that references the maximum player count (patching code at runtime, client & server)
  • Redesign code that abuses the fact that the maximum player count is 32 to store booleans in integer (https://github.com/ValveSoftware/hal...ggers.cpp#L947)

So it's not possible with existing games & mods because you'd need to modify the code. Even if you could do it, you'd need to disable VAC so it would be a cheater's heaven, especially since there's already memory patching going on so adding your own cheats in would be a lot easier.
I know every sentence you said. I think the only solution is avoid that. Since 32 players is hard-coded, how about 2 servers run on same computer and exchange it's player location to another (through some IPC or sth). And those fake players rendered as npc/monsters. That doesn't violate 32 players rule at all. Like I said let's just assume network and hardware is really good here.

Last edited by goodman3; 06-24-2018 at 06:07.