View Single Post
JohnnyOnTheSpot
Old 02-28-2010 , 19:17   Re: SourceMod 1.3.1 Released! Also, Six Years.

By ghost I mean that there is a slot that's left open and empty. The "player" is nameless, without a Steam ID and isn't actually connected to any specific real player in the game but is taking up a slot. When looking at the server in HLSW it will show that at least one of the slots is empty, or a "ghost" as I described above, and when in game or looking at the server info for a server, it shows all the actual connected players but per the actual count that is shown it's one less than is there.

Right now for example my server has 28 actual people playing in it but the server is reporting, both in Steam and HLSW, that there are 29/32 players. When looking at the player list in HLSW it shows that the first slot is a player with no name, but has been connected longer than any other player and in fact showed up initially after a restart of the server (in this specific instance). Over time what we've noticed is that these "ghosts" will appear more frequently.

I'm not sure why it's showing an extra player slot to be full when there's no actual player or how it's connected to the newer versions of MM/SM but this was not an issue prior to updating them. I have an event on my private server tonight and will see then if this issues resolves itself on the private or if it is still happening on both servers, because it would seem that this issue propagates itself after multiple people have connected and are playing on the server.

The one thing I did do is go to MM and recreate the .vdf file for the servers, loaded the file on to the servers and currently we've maintained only one "ghost" on the public, whereas the private has yet to propagate this feature (ghost) again as of this posting. In any case, it's not as bad as it was the other day. But it's annoying and is still happening for us and other servers that I follow and work with.