View Single Post
Drixevel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-01-2016 , 00:34   Re: Recent forum and community development - Situation assessment and proposals
Reply With Quote #5

Few things from me to note: (Haven't read any posts, just the thread OP)

The problem with stopping the requests of private plugins is that a lot of people these days buy private plugins for various reasons few of which involve the plugin being theirs only. It is possible for other developers to recreate what they see on a server but for the most part, It's meant to be a way a community can have their own customized version of that plugin. Some people like to request plugins that are completely new and some people like to request plugins which are customized to fit their needs. I'd suggest we embrace that sort of an agenda instead but give it a more open meaning with private plugin developer ratings and open rates to the public so we know how much money is spent where. This is also a very good way of watching out for scammers on the forum as well.

I'm behind you when it comes to good code in-general, I have OCD so I expect all code I look at the be very pretty and very efficient but putting up such high barriers for approval seems harsh considering a good number of us started coding in-general with Sourcemod. I'd suggest we do it the way you suggested it but make a section that's also open like before but just have active moderators. I'm 99% sure there's plenty of people here willing to moderate plugins.

I'm also behind you when it comes to everything related to bad coding style for money in the private sectors of plugin making as well as license agreements being violated. The problem with it though is there's never going to be any 100% way to stop it unless Sourcemod puts up a system that requires any plugins made to be set through an approval process first which would stop private work in-general and just cause a lot more drama than intended for those who want private stuff. People can do with their money that they want to and we can still make this a good community for everybody.

Might be a VERY out of the ball park suggestion from me and I'm not even sure I follow it 100% but I'd discontinue the license for private plugins and just tell everyone that private plugins are considered dangerous if not made by trusted people and just work on plugins released here under that license. We've been locked under the DMCA wall with SMAC for years now and that's not changing anytime soon so this might be one way to go but I'm not a fan of this idea as much as I am the idea above.

---

All and all, I like all the ideas you bring to the table and I'd like to see more improvements across the board. I'm also very interested in a name change but I'd rather not spam the forums over and over again for hours with a couple of bans and new account attempts just to make that happen even though I believe a simple name change is easy, people already know who I am and I'm not trying to break any rules by doing so. If you check out the latest thread by Zephyrius with the SQL snippets and my name on there, you can clearly see that people can't say my name correctly so I'd like to get this changed.

#runonsentences
#newyears2016

Anyways, that's my thoughts... have a good one.
- Drixevel (MY ACTUAL ALIAS)

Last edited by Drixevel; 01-01-2016 at 03:33.