View Single Post
Pain
Old 07-03-2005 , 03:05  
Reply With Quote #3

I tried to install HLDS but I don't get the a and b steps in step 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLDS ReadMe
Half-Life Dedicated Server (Steam) Update Tool
[4.07.05]

HldsUpdateTool is an application that will update an existing Half-Life Dedicated Server installation to the latest version or will download the latest version (from scratch) if an existing version is not found. To save time/bandwidth downloading files, it's better to install HldsUpdateTool into the root folder of an existing Half-Life Dedicated Server installation.

Installation
------------

1) Creating an account

It is no longer necessary to have a Steam account to use this tool.

2) Getting the latest version of the Dedicated Server

To download the latest version of the dedicated server to your machine:

a) Open a command prompt.

b) Change to the directory where the HLDS Update Tool is installed.

c) Run the HLDS Update Tool with the "update" command:

>HldsUpdateTool.exe -command update -game <game> -dir <installdir>

<game> "cstrike", "dmc", "dod", "ricochet", "tfc", "valve", "Counter-Strike Source", or "hl2mp"

<installdir> is the path where you want the files installed
e.g. . (for the current directory) or c:\hlserver

e.g.
>HldsUpdateTool.exe -command update -game cstrike -dir .

or

>HldsUpdateTool.exe -command update -game cstrike -dir c:\hlserver

(NOTE: that will be ./steam instead of HldsUpdateTool.exe for Linux users)

d) Steam remembers the options you use, so when you need to update next time you only need to run:

>HldsUpdateTool.exe -command update <game>

e) You can also install multiple copies of the server by specifying a different <installdir>.

f) Half-Life mods (eg cstrike, dod) and Source mods (eg hl2mp) must be installed to separate directories

3) Updating your Dedicated Server

If your dedicated server becomes out-of-date you will see the following message in your server console and in the server log:

"Your server needs to be restarted in order to receive the latest update."

To update, stop your dedicated server and run the update commands described in Section 2 (above).

4) Help

To see this info and info about other options of the tool, run it with "-?" and it will print them on the screen.

About Steam
-----------
Steam is a broadband business platform for direct software delivery and content management. At its core, Steam is a distributed file system and shared set of technology components that can be implemented into any software application.

Privacy
-------
Valve respects the privacy of its users. The details of our privacy policy can be viewed at:

http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.htm

FAQ
---
1) Q: No one is connecting to my server/I get errors when I try to connect to my server.

A: Run the HLDS Update Tool with the "update" command to make sure you have the most recent version.

2) Q: When I first run the HldsUpdateTool I see a message about "Could not create file: Permission denied". What's wrong?

A: The HldsUpdateTool has the ability to auto-update itself, but to do this it must be able to overwrite itself. Make sure the Windows user you're logged-in as has permission to overwrite the "HldsUpdateTool" executable.

3) Q: Where can I get help?

A: Join the Steampowered forums or one of the Valve Server Admin Mailing lists:

http://www.steampowered.com/forums

http://list.valvesoftware.com/mailman/listinfo