View Single Post
BAILOPAN
Old 08-08-2012 , 14:30   Re: Dynamic Arrays in SourcePawn
Reply With Quote #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steell View Post
Right, but if we're using @ to denote array references when declaring new variables, then I feel that everywhere we're dealing with references we should also use @ to remain consistent; even though there's no functional point in including @ in function parameters, for example, new Sourcepawn 2 users will see function headers without @ for arrays and assume that they're passed by-value, since declaring new arrays without the @ means precisely that.
I realize Proposal #4 was pretty light on details, so let me clarify. "@" would not a by-reference qualifier; it's a box that contains a value. Boxes would have no relation to arrays whatsoever. You could store boxes inside boxes, or scalars, etc.

Think of it like wrapping an array inside an object. You can re-point the box at another box, or you can change the value inside the box, but these are different from pass-by-reference. The box itself is a reference that contains a value or reference.

Whatever the case, I don't think it ever makes sense to pass arrays by value, and it would break almost every plugin in existence. The notion of "consistency" here doesn't factor in.

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 08-08-2012 at 14:47.