View Single Post
Toranks
Old 05-15-2022 , 10:47   [L4D2] Some questions starting a dedicated server
Reply With Quote #1

I finally managed to install a dedicated server and port all the plugins that I used in listenserver, but there are things that I still don't understand to know how to use it in the same way that I used to do things before.
  • Some client-sided cvars like
    r_flashlightmuzzleflash
    r_flashlightmuzzleflashfov
    cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist

with "launcher" or "cheat" label can be recognized on client but not on server, and can't be changed even with sm_cvar in neither of the two.

On client:
    Code:
    ] cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist
    "cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist" = "3000"
     client cheat
     - Max distance from the camera at which things will be rendered for shadows
    ] sm_cvar cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist 0
    [SM] No se encontrá cvar: cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist
    ] cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist 0
    Can't use cheat cvar cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    On server:
    Code:
    cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist
    Unknown command "cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist"
    sm_cvar cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist
    [SM] Unable to find cvar: cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist
    Is there a way to change these cvars ON MID-GAME, as I did before with listenserver on dedicated?

I'm using FATONY [ANY] Cheats (before with listenserver and now with dedicated): https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=195037
    I'm admin and in theory everything works for me, as things like sm_noclip
    I can change others similar cvars as cl_glow_survivor_r on client-side at any time
  • Before, I loaded my cvars into a file generated by Left 4 Bots, a workshop mod. I use this mod on the server and it works perfectly, I can give orders to the bots, and all its functionalities, except it doesn't load all the cvars.
    Where do I have to load them? On server.cfg? Will I get the same result, even with hidden or client-sided cvars?
    For example this cvars doesn't work on server.cfg, show this on server console:
    Code:
    Unknown command "r_flashlightmuzzleflash"
    Unknown command "r_flashlightmuzzleflashfov"
    r_flashlightmuzzleflash* doesn't work neither with Left4bots method and server.cfg method on dedicated, but works before on my listen server

Thanks for all the help you can offer me!

Last edited by Toranks; 05-15-2022 at 13:49.