View Single Post
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 12-31-2015 , 21:33   Re: Recent forum and community development - Situation assessment and proposals
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg House View Post

Proposals:

Signing of plugins
I do agree with not uploading smx files although that would break the Lysis thread. I also don't know how you can "sign" a plugin anyway?

Quote:
Sourcemod's plugin blacklist
This is an awful idea. Why do I need to compile my plugins on AM in order for the VM to whitelist it? This only screws over server operators who write plugins for their own servers. It also unnecessarily burdens AM's infrastructure:

- Plugin compilation is not cheap (CPU-intensive)
- Download/upload costs for the sp/smx
- Spams and burdens the gamedata updater with the hashes of whitelisted plugins (which is another bandwidth cost) - this is even worse if people then spam the AM compiler non-stop to spam up the whitelist hashes table AND waste CPU time on the compiler
- A total pain in the fucking ass where you have to recompile on AM for every update you make - even worse if you have numerous sp files and inc files lying around

Quote:
-Decreased maintainability unjustified by a plugin's complexity (i.e. very bad coding style, naming and comments being written in a language that is not English)
This is very highly subjective. What other people find to be pleasing coding style may not match mine. For one example I consider all code that put braces at the end of a line (as opposed to their own line) to be an instant winner of "disgusting code".

Quote:
Also, a few plugin-types I would like their approval status to be thought about:
I think AM has been pretty compliant with most of this. As a case in point, they moved all Valve-frowned plugins to the unapproved section and the attachables circumvention for TF2 is not to be spoken about (though it still can be found here in some dark corners).

Really, smx files should be removed and the VM should directly run off of sp, with the compilation being done on server startup. This will terminate license violations (and makes it somewhat easier to manage too) and I read BAILOPAN saying it will make plugins run 2-3x faster too. The problem is you pay the compilation price on every server startup.

Quote:
Thank you for your time reading this.
House
Thanks for posting the wall of text to read over.

Last edited by Potato Uno; 12-31-2015 at 21:36.