View Single Post
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 12-27-2006 , 00:56   Re: Suggestions to SourceMM Plugin Dev's
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by showdax View Post
The map-specific configuration thing is silly as it's already supported by the engine. I also think the existing metaplugins.ini thing is pretty silly. It'd make more sense to tell people to add "meta load someplugin" to their autoexec.cfg file. The models and sounds directories are going to be useless but that's already been pointed out.

I think it'd be better if metamod had its own directory at the top of the server directory, so you don't have to have multiple copies of the same plugin for different mods, or a mess of symbolic links. Perhaps something like this:

Code:
cstrike/
dod/
metamod/
metamod/someplugin
metamod/someplugin/someplugin_i486.so
metamod/someplugin/somepluginsmiscellaneousfile
metamod/otherplugin
metamod/otherplugin/otherplugin_i486.so
metamod/server_i486.so
Then you'd add "meta load someplugin" to cstrike/cfg/autoexec.cfg. You could put server_i486.so in metamod/bin to copy the mod format, but it isn't really a mod so I don't think that applies, and shoving the file one directory deeper is superfluous.
Yes old thread and a bump but making sure it's still embedded in peoples heads, but to point out another flaw in this setup is the fact that most GSPs do not allow FTP access outside of anything BUT the <mod> directory. So GSP setups would be impossible without full gsp support.

Last edited by FlyingMongoose; 12-27-2006 at 02:25.