View Single Post
Arkarr
Veteran Member
Old 07-10-2018 , 17:57   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
Back in the day when I ran multiple TF2 servers I never accepted cash donations; only item donations. And I made a lot of cool features free for everyone to use (taunts, !tp, !resize, !color, etc.), think there were like at least 40 or 50+ features for just a regular guest. The server was filled to the brim with players all the time.

They want gratification. With TF2/CSGO now built around item hoarding in PUGs then this is the top in their list of things to look for in a server. Sad, but true. That's one of the reasons I dropped the game and hosting them.

I've taken the mantra of making everything free for everyone to just enjoy and have fun in the game to L4D2 and now have 2 servers that are almost always full after only having kicked off 2 weeks ago in going live. Take it to heart - hosting isn't a job; it should be treated as a side hobby. The cash/donation incentive is just a perk.
And I can't agree more with that. I remember days where I actually enjoyed playing the game instead of braging about the very last new skin. It seems to me that not only the server hoster sold themselves, but the players as well.