View Single Post
ddhoward
Veteran Member
Old 05-02-2013 , 05:17   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #43

Conversely, people would be more likely to use the plugin if they had the option to allow certain people on the list into their servers anyway.

I can't help but think that the plugin authors are... confused on what exactly this request means. These people asking for a whitelist function are not asking for the ability to edit your database of banned users. Nor are they asserting that the bans are "invalid" in any way. They simply want that little extra bit of control over their own servers. They want to tell their LOCAL INSTALLATION of the plugin to ignore the fact that a particular Steam ID is on the uneditable list.

I do not know anyone on that list. I don't plan on getting to know any of them; they are essentially all scum. However, I do not know what events will come my way. Let's say that, one day, for some unknown reason, I really need to let a particular person onto my server. But I'm running this plugin, and he's on their list. I would have to completely unload the plugin for the duration of this person's connection. That is not desirable. Or let's say that my boyfriend's younger brother borrows my boyfriend's account, and stupidly gets his older brother put on this list? Will I be forced to uninstall the plugin to let my lover into my own server?

While I would enjoy the convenience that this plugin brings in the war against cheating douchebags, I want complete control over my server, within the bounds that Valve has set. These plugin authors say that, as long as their plugin is installed, I am not allowed to control my own server. If this is the case, their plugin will not be installed at all. :\

If the authors have a desire for their plugin to be used on many servers, then they need to appeal to the server owners. They need to give the server owners control over what their own servers do. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE SERVER OWNERS SHOULD BE ABLE TO EDIT THE CENTRAL DATABASE, NOR DOES IT MEAN THAT ANYONE BELIEVES THE LIST ENTRIES ARE INVALID.

Last edited by ddhoward; 05-02-2013 at 05:21.