View Single Post
Jstn7477
Old 11-09-2011 , 18:06   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by databomb View Post
GSPs should only be used as a last resort. You should get a Linux VPS box and learn how to host the server yourself. Not only is it much cheaper (~$0.25/slot) but you'll actually be learning something which could be useful at some point in the future.
GL finding a decent VPS from a non-gaming network. Most are either overloaded, full of torrent boxes taking up all the bandwidth, using crappy virtualization software (Xen is the only decent virtualization software, most companies use OpenVZ to give you a certain "MHz" and not a dedicated core) or don't give a crap about routing.

I use NFO virtual dedicated servers (Xen virtualization with dedicated RAM and CPU cores) for my community, and they are solid. Counter-strike, XFactorServers, GameServers and Thrust VPS were all laggy as shit and/or the server would go offline for hours at a time, not to mention support was a joke. NFO doesn't offer phone support, but there's no need for it when you can just ask for John, the CEO, at ANY TIME. I talk with him regularly whenever I may have an issue (which hasn't happened for a few months).