View Single Post
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-23-2014 , 10:51   Re: What is your workflow when developing plugins?
Reply With Quote #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
I usually have a pretty good idea of whether a plugin is ever going to blow up. Even if it does (this has never happened), I can just create a subfolder under scripting (this is how the SourceMod hg repo is set up, anyway).
The SourceMod plugins are also all released at the same time and share a common bug tracker. They're also hardly ever changed.

Basically, your update history can become a major mess when a lot of different plugins share the same repo even if you're not working on huge plugins. See Also: BrutalGoerge's repo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
The kind of stuff I'm releasing publicly is hardly complex enough to require the more advanced features of DVCS. I don't need branches, I don't need multiple commits per release. Each commit is a release.

Basically, I use it as glorified hosting. I can go back and see a revision if need be, but given the nature of this stuff, a single big repository works fine.

Of course, if I was doing something like FF2, then of course I'd make a dedicated repository and break the source out into separate files. The stuff I release just isn't that involved (plus if I made a separate repository for each plugin [public and private] I'd end up with like 75 repos each holding a single file).
Commits I make aren't necessarily finished releases. Especially not since I regularly do coding from 3 different computers (home desktop, home laptop, work desktop).

Also, certain people have taken to using whatever the latest dev code is in my repos. So now, I use branches while I'm working on new features or when I know something is going to need a lot of testing. Not only that, but while I'm working on said new features, I can still go back and make fixes to the current plugin and make new releases of it.

My only real problem with branches is that I have a nasty tendency to merge them in the wrong direction. I had to do a rollback on my PropHunt repo's main branch just recently because I did that.

Last edited by Powerlord; 01-23-2014 at 10:56.