View Single Post
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-20-2013 , 01:22   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikooo777 View Post
Hello i am still not very sure about this, I didn't understand everything so i have few questions:
(serverside)
do we have to put all the models, materials and sounds that are custom in the custom/randomnamehere/<structure> or can we just let them where they are now?
You can leave files where they are now, but it's recommended that you either pack them into VPK files or move them into a subdirectory of custom to separate the files by plugin.

Quote:
Can we pack all our custom files so it's faster for the client download?
Sadly, no.

Quote:
What changes do we have to bring to our fastdownload server (if any)?
I believe you have to divide them up like you do on the server side, but I'm not sure about that.

Fast Download servers can't have VPKs, so they need the files loose on disk in the custom directory using the same directory structure that the VPK did. It's still recommended that you bz2 these files.

Note: If you DON'T have a Fast Download server, the files have to be loose on disk on your server as well (I think).

Now, Fletcher Dunn did mention possible Workshop support later, but it sounds like that is more for client mods rather than server mods. I'm hoping they have support for server mods like CS:GO does for Workshop maps... clients are required to download those from Steam when connecting to the server.