View Single Post
nosoop
Veteran Member
Old 04-16-2016 , 04:20   Re: SourceTV Manager
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8guawong View Post
sorry i'm noob
could some1 tell me when this extension would be of use?
If you're not running SourceTV, then this wouldn't be useful to you at all.

Otherwise, it provides a few new possibilities:
  • Sending messages that can only be seen by spectators (and won't show up in the demo).
  • Using the connection events to provide player join / leave messages on the main server when someone is spectating via SourceTV.
  • I think you could also get the total number of spectators watching a game in SourceTV and output that on screen, if you were hosting some kind of big event.
  • Getting an accurate demo tick for events. I'm planning on writing a personal plugin that lets people bookmark points in a SourceTV demo so they can grab the demo off a web server later for rendering (as an alternative to the mess that is TF2's Replay system).
  • Providing some cleaner checks to move in-game spectators to SourceTV. (You could just use tv_port, though.)
  • The ability to kick specific clients off SourceTV (maybe you wanted STV reserved slots, or a second-level AFK kicker after they get moved from in-game spectate).

Now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder how complicated it'd be to get chat messages from SourceTV.