View Single Post
CornetTheory
Old 01-21-2007 , 04:02   Descent 3 style scoreboard
Reply With Quote #1

please excuse my terrible English, I'm from America.

If you have ever played Descent3, you may remember the unique way it handled the scoreboard:

1. your player would have a number of frags and deaths and it would show your kill to death ratio plus points per hour etc...

all ordered from top score to bottom score

PLAYERA ----- 100kills 30deaths etc..
playerB ----- 30 78
playerC ------23 90
playerD -------90 20

2. when you left the server for whatever reason, your name would appear along with your score, grayed out to everyone else and the board would look like this:

playerB ----- 30kills 78deaths etc..
playerC ------23 90
PLAYERA --- 100 30
playerd ----- 90 20

players B and C are still in the game like normal, but the previous players that are now disconnected, have the scores ordered by kills below the active players.

3. Now, if you "playerA" were to rejoin the match before the map changed, your score would be reinstated, so that the scoreboard would look like this again... (and notice that playerD got off the can and rejoined also)

PLAYERA ----- 100kills 30deaths etc..
playerD -------90 20
playerB ----- 30 78
playerC ------23 90

So what we have here now, turning to the HLDM engine and pawn code, is I would suppose a text file that gets updated with every kill and then caches the player's score details so that even if someone leaves, they can regain their score. Also while they are gone, the other players have a chance to see the absent players 'scores and can then try to beat it.

one thing that I would change is player recognization based off of IP (or steam ID, I personally would prefer IP) so that names can be variable.

another thing that would be really cool, and a bit more like descent3 would be to assign a scoreboard text color for each person's scoreboard ID (assuming it does not change until the map changes) and storing that as well. so that player A "who joined first" will always be red until the map changes and playerB would be blue...ands so on.

I have tried to code this myself, and I found out that by the time it takes me to figure it out, I will be very old. so if some one can do it for me that is wonderful.

if someone can explain what I need to do to structure this into code myself while making it for me that is awesome too.

thanks guys, I now fall upon your expertise.

EDIT: I got a complaint about this post because I said "please excuse my terrible English, I'm from America."

I am in fact American, and I do not speak perfect English. however I speak it much better than the average American, so I made a crack about Americans. Deal with it, from reading these forums for a while, I noticed there are a bunch of grammar-nazis that critisize people for insignificant things, and I didn't want to deal with that.

Last edited by CornetTheory; 01-23-2007 at 19:41.