View Single Post
xOR
Veteran Member
Old 10-23-2006 , 16:23   Re: admin slots

i know it's not that easy to understand, so i feel like i need to clear this up once again:

there are 2 philosophies of how you can make sure your admins can always play no matter how full the server is:
  1. keep the amount of slots you want to reserve clear of normal users every time, let only admins use them

advantages:
    • no player needs to be kicked (sent away) when an admin joins
    disadvantages:
    • you can't have more admins than the amount of slots that are reserved
    • you waste slots for every slot that is not used by an admin - remember the server ALWAYS reserves resources for it's slots, regardless of if they are used or not, furthermore rented gameservers are payed by slots (more slots = more expensive)
    • you have inconsistent max users - players might come to your server because they like small servers (10 slots) and play with 10 slots there and then the other day all your admins are there and the server suddenly has 14 players - this can have a strong effect on the gameplay
    • many hide the admin slots, so people might get annoyed because they are fooled to connect to the server and go through the process of connecting, downloading and precaching just to be dropped with a message that there is no free slot in the end
  2. don't keep slots clear, but kick(redirect away) players when an admin joins

advantages:
    • no slot waste
    • unlimited number of admins (but still with the option to limit it with maxadmins if you like)
    • consistent maxusers
    • people are not fooled into joining the server although there is no free slot for them
    disadvantages:
    • a player needs to be kicked (sent away) for an admin coming on the server

the redirection plugin works like option 2.
the two philosophies are not compatible to each other. i had to make a decision and i decided to use option 2, because there is already a plugin shipped with AMXX that works like 1. and because i don't like the disadvantages of option 1.

as other adminslots plugins following option 1 you only have the two possibilities of either using the redirection plugin with 2 or not using redirection plugin and using the other plugin for the reserved slots.

maybe to create the compatibility to 1 it would help if i added redirect_maxslots, which the plugin would use as reference for maximum players. i will think about it.

i welcome every discussion, question or idea about this problem, just post your thoughts.

Last edited by xOR; 11-06-2006 at 18:03.