View Single Post
XAD
Old 01-28-2005 , 02:56  
Reply With Quote #23

[quote="theqizmo"]
Quote:
CSS works fine, as they had compiled support in for 002, but BAILOPAN is 110% correct: Valve is ignoring *their own* API. HL2DM doesn't even work with the new interface. Go figure.
Do I miss something important here??
Valve is not ignoring the new interface, it's only that they do not use the new functions and therefore do not need to update HL2DM...
This exactly what I was talking about... you DON'T have to updates you mods (or plugins) when valve releases the new interface versions ONLY if you use the new functions. BUT if you are using the solution BAILOPAN suggest then your mod or plugin will kill the system as it requires you to use the LATEST version. THIS is what I mean with back-compatible, that you can use the previous version of the mod implemented interface...

Ie. we now have version 2 out but all plugins using version 1 still works with both mods using version 1 and 2. Of course you won't be able to use plugins requiring version 2 with mods using version 1 as the mod hasn't coded the new functions yet (sort of obvious).

So Valve doesn't have to update HL2DM to version 2 as it will still work. Updating CSS was probably the reasons to why they updated the interface to version 2, due to all request by plugin developers and maybee because they don't want us to make to ugly hacks directly in the data structures (as "we" did for CS1.6 to change health and other stuff).

/X