Thread: C++ Plugins
View Single Post
DS
SourceMod Developer
Old 10-17-2004 , 10:47   C++ Plugins
Reply With Quote #1

I'm just curious as to how you're planning on implementing the ability to make plugins using C++.

I'm already guessing they will compiled into a DLL or SO or some similar form in the end. And I'm assuming SourceMod will be modular as AMXX is to an extent with the different modules (core, engine, fun, regex, array, etc). And I'm sure many of the functions of AMXX will probably make their way to SourceMod. Obviously we can't be 100% sure as we don't have the SDK yet. But I think it's a pretty safe bet a lot of the stuff we can do with HL1 server side mods could be done with Source server side mods. So I'm guessing you may be planning similar modules.

But are C++ plugins going to importing functions from these [assumed] modules like a Windows application might use some functions from a DLL? Will the modules be exporting these functions like a DLL does? (I'm assuming these modules will compiled as DLL/SO)

...Or will these C++ plugins be more like modules in that they would use functions directly from the supposed source version of metamod?

Maybe my real question is more of how MetaEng is going to be working... As I believe you mentioned that it was responsible for allowing different languages to be used for scripting plugins. And I know you mentioned wrappers for the different languages as well, but I guess I'm still not quite grasping how all this is going to work.

I can understand if you don't to say much about MetaEng at this point. But I was just curious as I'm looking forward to coding plugins in C++ instead of Small.