View Single Post
Psyk0tik
Veteran Member
Old 04-03-2023 , 01:14   Re: Important question: How can newbies learn SourcePawn?
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalChaos SourcePawner View Post
Ok, thanks for clearing that up a bit Psyk0tik.
I think I get it now. I'm not the only one in this boat.
SourcePawn is a pain in the butt for everybody.

If that's the case, why not make some improvements on the documentation and the tools available?
I mean, I can't be the only one on the planet that wants some of the things I mentioned in my main post, right?
More and better documentation on what certain functions and other things do in games, improved compiler that goes into better detail with what you did wrong and provides possible solutions, and other stuff. Surely other people have wanted those, right?

I really feel like there's some things on both this site, SourceMod itself and its tools that could use a serious overhaul.
Either that or I'm just dumb, which is entirely possible (and incredibly likely) knowing me.
Things just don't feel beginner-friendly to me, and I already mentioned that I'm pretty familiar with GLua.
I've created entire SWEPs and NPCs with GLua. The NPCs being mostly DRGBase stuff.
I've created tons of functions, delays and timers, played audio, swapped audio sets, swapped textures, created CVars, set animations, swapped animation sets, created entire separate modes, toggleable abilities (did I mention that I could make everything toggleable, and customizable?), and plenty of other things all with GLua. I know my stuff.
But SourcePawn? That feels like an entirely different beast. Even C++ feels like a nightmare.
Sure, not every adventure with GLua was a win, but I feel like I was much more successful with GLua than SourcePawn.
I agree that there could be better and more formal/official documentation with examples for every function, implementation, etc. but I also think that for now we can still work with what's out there. Whenever I encounter something new in SP that I've never tried or done before, I google as many related keywords as I can and read up on as many forum posts related to the topic as I can find. Whenever a new function or feature is added to SP, I immediately try it in a test plugin and see how it works.

I highly recommend going through all the introduction pages and watching the long tutorial videos that you find online. As tedious as they may seem, you won't learn anything from SP just from documentation and examples alone. You can learn by doing and that can apply to any concept in life, not just in programming. This post is the best one to start reading as it contains a collage of all the information every beginner should learn.

Here are sites that have documentation for every function available in SM. All the information is directly retrieved from the .inc files inside addons/sourcemod/scripting/include folder. The only things missing are examples for how each function can be implemented for which purposes.

1. SourceMod.dev
2. SourceMod API
3. Old SourceMod API (Outdated due to old syntax)

Last edited by Psyk0tik; 04-03-2023 at 01:15.