View Single Post
Silvers
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 09-24-2020 , 03:00   Re: L4D2 - The Last Stand Update - Issues and Bugs - Mega Thread

I've always wondered about this, and it sucks theres no gamedata and hardcoded. They didn't change during the last major plugin breaking updates (The Passing and Steam Pipe - which broke many things), so I suspect this semi major update wouldn't break it either.

Edit: Have locally updated many of my plugins in preparation for the update with what's knowm to change (vtable offsets) and I'm assuming the melee weapon class/script names which I'm pretty sure will be correct so all my melee plugins will be updated straight away. I just want to verify everything before posting so waiting for the update.

For all 3rd party plugins, a post here mentioning which plugin or whats wrong will help. I can't review them all but most will be simple gamedata changes (especially if it's just vtable). Some common plugins I'll update to their threads posting the new gamedata (after I'm done reviewing and posting my stuff), at least it seems a bunch of people will be helping update so should progress very quickly.

Servers may crash with vtable changes because the wrong function is now being called with the wrong args, that's the problem with vtable changes it's not easily known that they are broken unless the server crashes or you specifically test something and not getting the expected results. Signature changes are much easier to detect since most plugins written correctly would throw an error about wrong signature (unless a signature matches something new - again that being the wrong function so would probably crash server anyway - and with that Accelerator extension would help pinpoint if required).

Last edited by Silvers; 09-24-2020 at 03:12.