View Single Post
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 01-02-2017 , 14:14   Re: AMXX update risks from 1.8.1.374 to the latest version?
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by addons_zz View Post
> I guess what we should do first is to make a changelog of what we did since 1.8.2 to get an overview of the whole thing

I would advise to not create change logs only near the release. For each update which produces a change from the user point of view, add it to a change log progressively kept up to date. On this case the change log can be too extent, then split it into two parts, one detailed and one overall.

Letting to do a full file near the release is over killing and over boring, I think, splitting the boringness across across the project development is much better. But may others like to do everything on the end, but it could significantly reduces the accuracy/quantity of the information, as what was done could be mostly long forgot.

For anyone not familiar with change logs, do not put on change log things like I renamed variables, we changed the code style to Allman, and etc, but things like, we fixed crashes, double performance, added the new setting X, changed the menu Y color to Z.
The problem with generating the changelog "on the fly" is that you would still need to go back and verify every entry because not all commits are guaranteed to be kept. So, it's probably best to generate a changelog based on the commit log (when the code is frozen as 'feature complete') so that you can more easily detect when a commit/feature was reversed.