Thread: [VSH] Introducing VSH Advanced
View Single Post
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-09-2015 , 11:46   Re: Introducing VSH Advanced
Reply With Quote #191

You know, as much as you harp about the FF2 subplugins system (which isn't perfect) and boss system in here, it does have a few advantages that you apparently haven't considered or have just ignored.
  1. FF2 Subplugins generally adhere to the Don't Repeat Yourself principle.
  2. Boss models and sounds aren't precached until the boss is actually used.
  3. Less code in general as the core kept track of a lot of the boss related things that are now tracked inside each boss plugin for VSHA.

In FF2 (and VSH), you only had one copy of OnTakeDamage... not a separate one for Hale, Vagineer, HHH Jr, etc... SuperJump just had the one copy in the defaultabilities plugin instead of being compiled into every plugin.

As long as I'm talking about FF2... way back in ages past, I had a Grand Dream for FF2... the original verson 2.0. It's been something like 4 years, but as I recall, these were the major goals for it:
  • Rewrite the way FF2 communicated with its subplugins using private forwards.
  • Rework how boss configurations worked.
    • Support for version 1.0 subplugins and bosses would have stuck around for a while, but would have eventually gone away.
  • Make the queue a subplugin that could be switched out for another implementation. This was essentially finished and is probably somewhere in the code repo Wilu has.
  • Move weapon replacements and attribute changes out to a separate file. If this sounds familiar, it's because it ended up in PropHunt Redux, albeit without the ability to add custom functions to a weapon.
  • Make a Freak Fortress Gallery site that would be a place where bosses could be downloaded... it would have subplugins required by bosses listed for them and such.

Now, obviously this didn't happen as I kinda lost interest in the project after my then-community did.