View Single Post
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 09-03-2013 , 12:31   Re: SourceBans 2.0 Public Preview (2013/07/01)
Reply With Quote #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik V View Post
Just because a feature is available does not necessitate its use. Why leave out a feature and reduce the functionality of an application; a server operator will use that feature on a server you would not play on anyway, but 1000's of others do. It facilitates the method by which many, many servers monitor and control admin access, which is what this program is about. As I mentioned earlier, the ability to do this should be available, but not necessary, as leaving the time parameter out will just make an admin permanent, allowing those operators who do not wish to employ this feature the freedom to ignore it.
I pointed out the Core, it doesn't mean a feature can't exist, it means it will not be developed or maintained by the sourcebans team themselves as part of the core package. SourceBans 2, as McKay above has stated has a very extensive plugin system. Apart from the core basics of the system (ban management, admin management, server management and features associated directly there in) there is no purpose in adding anything to the core.

For example, Per-Server Banning and Per-Server admins are both part of SB2 (weren't in 1.x), but a temporary admin system would not be something core to the application.

Also in designing applications you go efficiency first, too many functions/features in the core creates a bloated application, the ability to modulate applications and plugins (as SB2 provides) allows for a smaller scale application and a far more efficient system.

It's like Mani Admin Tool or even way back Beetlesmod vs. SourceMod, personally I prefer SourceMod because if I don't want a feature, I can take it out, if I do want a feature, I can add it in.

As Tsunami said a data field modification can be done though. Make -1 indefinite?

Only ask for support in plugin threads.

TunedChaos.com - Precision Tuned Game Servers

Last edited by FlyingMongoose; 09-03-2013 at 12:32.