View Single Post
MasterOfTheXP
Veteran Member
Old 06-06-2013 , 11:14   [CS:GO] Hitsounds
Reply With Quote #1

One of the main problems for me when playing Counter-Strike was that I couldn't aim very well, and wasn't easily able to tell if I had hit someone. I would fire an AK at someone, but then they'd kill me and it turned out that I'd hit them once, twice if I was lucky. Valve added a feature to TF2 where it plays a "ding" sound every time you hit an enemy (which quickly helped to improve my aim), so I wondered, why shouldn't Counter-Strike have it, too?

Players can type /hitsound in chat to turn on the hitsound, and every time they hit someone, they'll hear a "ding!" sound to confirm the hit.

Just like TF2's hitsound, this one has a few rules. The hitsound will not play if:
  • You hit someone through a wall, i.e. you don't have a clear line of sight to them
  • You hit someone who is hidden in the smoke of a smoke grenade
  • You're blinded by a flashbang
The first two rules don't apply if your hit was fatal, though. So if you kill someone who is hidden in smoke through a wall, you'll hear it

Oh, and cvars:
  • sm_hitsounds_displaydamage (1/0, def. 1) If 1, also display damage done to the attacker. I know that Show Damage exists, but Hitsounds' damage text abides by the above rules.
  • sm_hitsounds_rules (1/0, def. 1) Set to 0 to disable the first two above rules. In other words, if 0, players will still hear hitsounds even if they hit someone that they can't see.
  • sm_hitsounds_friendlyfire (1/0, def. 0) If 1, you'll also hear a hitsound if you damage a teammate. Has no effect if mp_friendlyfire is 0.
Can probably work in CS:S too, but the hitsound will need to be changed, as the sound this plugin uses is not in CS:S. If you think you know of a suitable hitsound in CS:S (preferably a ding) let me know and I'll add it in.

One more thing: the plugin does not advertise itself at all--you should add a message about /hitsound in your Advertisements or whateverplugin config, so that your players know about it.
Attached Files
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (hitsounds.sp - 9430 views - 4.8 KB)

Last edited by MasterOfTheXP; 06-06-2013 at 11:15.