Bittersweet
Veteran Member
Old 05-27-2013 , 11:07   Re: Release 1.2.12.0
Reply With Quote #4172

Quote:
Originally Posted by altex View Post
Good question.
Autoupdate is a good idea itself.
But before implementing this it's necessury to resolve some other issues.
For example:
1) Almost every gg update adds/changes some config variables. We can update smx files, but we can not just update config file, because server administators changed it. So this new features wouldn't be available until admins will know what exactly was added in config.
2) Some updates does not have backward compatibility, for example deteling some features. Admins should take time to reconfigure server before changes take effect.
3) Some updates can not be done without admins. For example when admin should move custom sounds to another folder
4) Some updates changes api, so other plugins that depends on gungame will stop working after update.

So i can't imagine what exactly issues will occur after every update on a particular server. And that's why i beleive the most part of admins won't be happy if i implement this feature. For example, do you feel happy after every weekly update from valve? As an administrator i mean, not as a player
I'm not very happy about Valve or SM updates as an admin or as a player. I can't remember the last update that actually did something good that I care about. Adding support for Apple/Macintosh is a good idea, but I didn't get any rush of new players after that. I also understand your reasons listed above for not using an updater. I can't count the times I had to go back and rebuild my database.cfg after an SM update - very irritating.

I always tell new users of GunGame and other highly configurable plugins that they should go through the config files line by line when first setting it up, to see all of the options, and set them to their liking. It wouldn't be hard to spend most of a day setting up GunGame just the way you like it - I think it took me several days. Having my config files overwritten by some updater...yes, that would make me want to throw my monitor through a window.

Thank you for all of your hard work on this awesome group of plugins

My plugins:
[CS:S] BOT Swat | [ANY] CVAR Randomizer | [CS:S] SM CS:S Tag Beta | [CS:S] Bot2Player
Awesome & Crucial plugins by other people:
[CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame | [UMC3] Ultimate Mapchooser | [ANY] Server Crontab | [ANY] SM ForceCamera