View Single Post
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 03-07-2013 , 09:57   Re: [Orangebox] Server Rates/Performance CVARS
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade View Post
Hey, man, you're welcome? I'm just 'teachin you how to fish', it's a good exercise to do that check yourself once in a while ;)

But Bacardi, in your vid you play with client commands and loss/choke aren't shown?.. ima read more carefully tonight, thx.
AAOaoaoaaaa.... in my video I just demonstrate how sv_minupdaterate work on dedicated server.
  • Client can check server current sv_minupdaterate from own console.
  • Client can try set own cl_updaterate to lowest value, but re-checking cl_updaterate again client see it's restricted.
  • To monitor net_graph two upper-right values, you see how it works. Top one is convar cl_updaterate value, below is current updaterate.
So video not have anything to do Loss/Choke, and net_graph is working 1 or 2.
Rant:

But quick answer for these two why happen.
Choke:
- There happen lot of action around player and server try send much information to him, but player just not "suck" all of it.
This tell player rate is not enough and limit downloading information.
Fix:
either...
- You cap min value higher so he can't use low setting and/or give opportunity to him raise rate value, change max value higher.
- Or you cap max updaterate lower...

Loss:
- Server bandwidth not enough or bad performance.
Server can't send enough information to player. The player start left without data.
Fix:
- Try find problem from server, is there too much players for share upload bandwidth ?
Less players on server and limit rates lower

Something like that.