View Single Post
terpion
Old 06-11-2010 , 08:42   Re: Protecting your server!
Reply With Quote #11

I run both types, one mani-admin server and one sourcemod based server. Both run on the same dedicated server.

On the Mani-admin server I've been hacked twice, then I changed clients.txt and server.txt to read only (chmod 444) and that was the end of my problems. If I need to add an admin I just change file permissions make changes and make file read only again.

On the SourceMod server I did't have any problems yet. Running DFENS and KAC for my server security.

DO NOT put yoor RCON password in server.cfg

Unlike one of the posts above, I believe that we should share info how our servers are being hacked. Knowledge will help us in our defense. I had to do a lot of searching before I found out that there is a bug in the source engine that will allow an upload to anywhere on the server or that a client could download my server.cfg file. Once I had that knowledge I was able to defend against those hacks.

Be aware that a hacker with a properly formed file can permanently delete files on your gameserver. Here is hoping that Valve fixes that one soon.
Send a message via Yahoo to terpion