View Single Post
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 04-30-2010 , 00:41   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupok View Post
fysiks, steamids are the only unique identifiers for players, but they can be changed. So, they're as reliable as ip addresses or names when you're reading them with a third-party addon like AMXX or SteamBans. It's just a bad idea to build a system on top of steamids that are known to be changeable. It was always a bad idea, right from the start, but perhaps the developers of SteamBans didn't realize this during development. Perhaps they were hoping that no one would figure it out, which is a Really Bad Idea.

What does SteamBans do?

SteamBans uses a secret hashing function to convert a steamid to some scrambled data, and then deciphers that scrambled (or hashed) data on the other end. So, if you use a steamid changer, then SteamBans will hash the fake steamid.

Now, if SteamBans could grab the real steamid regardless of whether or not it had been changed, then the problem would be averted. For example, VAC grabs the real steamid.

Quote:
but perhaps the developers of Steam didn't realize this during development
Say hello to VALVe. You can't fault SteamBans for using something that is designed as the only unique identifier of a Steam account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquimandrade View Post
The system is still flawed indepently of censoring the plugin or not.
Perhaps Valve should have never given out any SDKs for any of it's games. That would have solve the problem. But of course, this community wouldn't exist if that was the case. I kind of see it as "biting the hand that feeds you," but that is only my opinion.

Anyways, I think I will be done here because this 'he said she said' argument is pointless.

Last edited by fysiks; 04-30-2010 at 00:46.