AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   General (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Beta Testing (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=36809)

devicenull 11-23-2004 15:36

Beta Testing

At the moment, the SDK isn't even released, meaning there's nothing to beta test. In fact, it might be awhile before there is anything to alpha test.

However, a lot of you seem excited about beta testing, and I think malex did a good job of commenting about it :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by malex
We would love nothing more than to open up the beta program this instant. Because the SDK isn't out yet, however, there just isn't anything to beta. Be patient. We will put a call out for beta testers, with the requirements and questionnairs to help us find the proper mix of test servers to maximize test-case coverage.

While waiting for the first releases of SourceMod, there are some things you can do to help us pick you as a member of the elite testing team.

The first, and probably most important, thing you have to learn is how to write properly. We are more likely to pick someone who can properly communicate his thoughts in complete, well formed sentences. Sounding like a kid does not help you, even if you are a kid.

Second, learn the technology. Anyone asking to be a private beta tester, and asking about an installer for the first release, is likely to be laughed at. Learn about the Source engine, the console commands, the filesystem layout. Learn about Steam. Learn about the operating system you will be running this on, be it Linux or Windows. Learn how to separate OS problems from application problems. Most of you asking to be on the beta team probably know these things already, but it doesn't hurt to refresh your memory. It also doesn't hurt to know C++ and debugging, so you could not only find problems but also help fix them.

Third, learn how to properly report bugs. This is related to the first and second points, as you have to know the technology to report bugs properly, and you have to know how to write for us to understand you. Read through the AMX Mod X forums for examples of good and bad bug reports; you should be able to sort the good ones from the bad ones easily.

Until there is something testable, sit tight, learn, study, play, whatever. When we have something, we will find you.

\malex\

Dygear 11-25-2004 17:51

A helpful command for when your beta crashes and it will. msinfo32. This will collect information about your computer during the time of the crash. This will allow the dev team to see what you were running and help them insure it not just you or some third party program interfering with SM.

Start -> Run -> (type) msinfo32 <hit enter>
Give it a few seconds to run the prgram, it is getting quite a lage ammount of informaion. Now hit Ctrl + S. Then all you have to do is zip/rar or send the raw nfo file to the dev team and tell them what happed.

imported_BlueRaja 11-28-2004 21:16

Also, Windows Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc) gives infomation about application crashes.
I believe it's only available in XP and 2000.

QwertyAccess 11-30-2004 00:54

i would just like to state one thing though, im pretty sure for those who HOST gameservers, and rent them out that just running Source Mod isnt enough, you have to look at it and check how it works and perform tests on plugins etc and debug it, check memory so if your someone who just hosts alot of rental servers to people for money you should have the time to watch your server well and the skills as such stated above.

nbigdog2000 11-30-2004 01:11

WHEN SOURCEMOD COMES OUT(HOPFULLY SOON) ....are u guys looking for testers and alll..cuz i am interested!!!!

imported_malex 11-30-2004 02:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbigdog2000
WHEN SOURCEMOD COMES OUT(HOPFULLY SOON) ....are u guys looking for testers and alll..cuz i am interested!!!!

Every stupid comment like this will delay SourceMod public release by 7 days. Thank nbigdog2000, folks (privately, of course).

\malex\

devicenull 11-30-2004 15:41

Quote:

Can you read?

Bishop 11-30-2004 18:27

obviously not... heh

nbigdog2000 11-30-2004 19:34

take it easy guys,geezz....just a question!

imported_malex 11-30-2004 21:38

Quote:

take it easy guys,geezz....just a question!

14 days.