AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A question about owners who were owned server. (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=242295)

Moscow1234 06-16-2014 23:48

A question about owners who were owned server.

I'm going to ask one question to all the owners of the community groups because I can't figured out if many owners bought the servers like for example NFOservers and Gameservers.com or hosted the servers with fast download. Has anyone bought the game servers or hosted the servers with fast download?

fysiks 06-17-2014 00:04

Re: A question about owners who were owned server.

NFO and Gameservers.com only rent out game servers (You can't buy them). Most people that run a server use fast download. There seems to be some sort of glitch if you don't use fast download for distributing your game content.

There are a few people who rent a VPS (virtual private server) and then run what ever programs they want on it including game server and/or webservers. This is usually only recommend for people that have extensive knowledge of running servers and handling all of the security that is required for such a situation.

There are also some people who try to host a game server from their home but this is generally not recommended because the upload speeds required for a game server are generally not available for most residential internet services.

If that didn't answer your question, what exactly are you asking for?

Moscow1234 06-17-2014 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by fysiks (Post 2152905)
NFO and Gameservers.com only rent out game servers (You can't buy them). Most people that run a server use fast download. There seems to be some sort of glitch if you don't use fast download for distributing your game content.

There are a few people who rent a VPS (virtual private server) and then run what ever programs they want on it including game server and/or webservers. This is usually only recommend for people that have extensive knowledge of running servers and handling all of the security that is required for such a situation.

This is the part what I'm talking about. Anyways what are advantages and what are disadvantages? Also, what is the most recommended should I need? I need to keep my server online.

YamiKaitou 06-17-2014 00:43

If you want your server to stay online, either rent it from a GSP or rent a VPS

fysiks 06-17-2014 05:58

Renting a game server (not a VPS) is what I would recommend for you.

Moscow1234 06-17-2014 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiKaitou (Post 2152912)
If you want your server to stay online, either rent it from a GSP or rent a VPS

Would you explain, What does GSP stands for?

Jelle 06-17-2014 11:23

I have my own IBM server running 24/7. With my 300/300 internet connection hosting multiple servers isn't really a problem.

DruGzOG 06-17-2014 11:42

I prefer a VPS, you get more for what you pay for if you buy it from the right host.

joshknifer 06-17-2014 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moscow1234 (Post 2153073)
Would you explain, What does GSP stands for?

Game Server Provider

Moscow1234 06-18-2014 00:53

If I use the fast download for my server, How can I distribute it so that way I could provide it for my server?

Side-note: I'll post it on the other thread and yes I know this thread talks about How they do it.