AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   General (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Cookie Banning (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=314802)

RealEdan 03-08-2019 00:40

Cookie Banning

Has anyone ever tried out or attempted to perform Cookie Bans? (If even possible)

Basically forcing the user to visit a website in-game and storing a cookie in their browser to prevent the use of alternate accounts.

Just was wondering if anyone has tried this out. Let me know :)

Lubricant Jam 03-08-2019 08:07

Re: Cookie Banning

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealEdan (Post 2642402)
Has anyone ever tried out or attempted to perform Cookie Bans? (If even possible)

Basically forcing the user to visit a website in-game and storing a cookie in their browser to prevent the use of alternate accounts.

Just was wondering if anyone has tried this out. Let me know :)

How'd you propose this without MOTD? There's no way to "force" someone to click the Server Website icon.

RealEdan 03-08-2019 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lubricant Jam (Post 2642430)
How'd you propose this without MOTD? There's no way to "force" someone to click the Server Website icon.

There are hundreds of ways to force users to click the server website button. For example freezing the player until done so, or kicking the player if they do not click the website button within a certain time span.

It would only be utilized for their first connection to the gameserver to store the cookie, every connection after that wouldn’t require you to do so.

Bara 03-08-2019 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealEdan (Post 2642503)
For example freezing the player until done so, or kicking the player if they do not click the website button within a certain time span.

And that's the reason why I don't play on community servers anymore. That's a totally nogo in my opinion.

RealEdan 03-08-2019 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bara (Post 2642504)
And that's the reason why I don't play on community servers anymore. That's a totally nogo in my opinion.

Well you can either click the server website button once in your life, or play against cheaters on new accounts that have changed their IP.

sneaK 03-08-2019 17:41

Time to rename the thread title: "How to lose 85%+ of your player base"

You might want to look into other options.

RealEdan 03-09-2019 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneaK (Post 2642506)
Time to rename the thread title: "How to lose 85%+ of your player base"

You might want to look into other options.

This is a great option and a 1 time thing for new players, especially important for server networks with 5v5 servers or any other competitive gamemode.

I don't think you quite understand because majority of your players play your surf servers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You should really broaden your horizons towards new ideas to prevent cheating.

psychonic 03-09-2019 20:18

You're missing the fact that it's trivial to clear your Steam browser cookies while annoying legit players.

RealEdan 03-09-2019 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychonic (Post 2642651)
You're missing the fact that it's trivial to clear your Steam browser cookies while annoying legit players.

If it's not widely know about it would be very effective. Could I get this thread completely deleted? Thanks

sneaK 03-10-2019 06:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealEdan (Post 2642657)
If it's not widely know about it would be very effective. Could I get this thread completely deleted? Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forum Rules
Do not blank out posts. Additionally, if you solve your problem post the solution for others to find.

I have restored your original post, but I'll go ahead and lock the thread for you.