AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   General (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Solved Is Amx 1.8.3 Stable? (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=299947)

Arkshine 08-16-2017 14:26

Re: Is Amx 1.8.3 Stable?

Well, it's not that simple.

The next version is 1.9. It's a major version and it's expected to have a lot of changes. Though, the changelog is actually not that big. As I've probably said already, the goal is to make things more up-to-date because it's really needed, not to break things. To be honest, at the start, we were just trying to fix/improve things here and there and we ended with a fair share of internal & important changes because the more you dig in the code, the more you find real issues which need to be addressed.

A particular issue is we lack people (test/review), so the development is kind of slow. Sometimes everyone is busy/lazy for a while. Sometimes someone finds bugs and this can lead to a bunch of fixes/improvements/new stuff. Sometimes you want to update a plugin but you need to update the modules before. It can't be helped. Time flies fast. Believe me, sometimes it's really frustrating. The point is, before we knew, a lot of stuff was already merged. At this point, you can't just release an half-baked AMXX version. The next version became major, in the meaning, a lot of things everywhere have been touched. There is no real dramatic change. Full backward-compatibility is obviously kept, the dev version should perform better with the same behavior as the previous version, but we are human, we don't have enough feedbacks and sometimes a bug can pop up.

Actually, there are not much core/internal changes, some are enough important to involve a lot of code, but what is really big is the stuff for the developer, way too much, I agree and it's enough for this version. On the contrary, admin stuff has been kind of ignored. That's why, before we go in feature freeze state, I want at least update the plugins and offer some long-awaited features for admins, because each time they are ignored :P.

If you want to know the big plan is something like:

1) Finishing to write/format/check the release notes and API changes (this is quite the nightmare, I assure you), then posting on the wiki.
2) Making an announce we're still alive, some words about the next version, linking to the release notes, and asking some help (test/review/pr/etc).
3) Opening Issues tab on Github because everyone hates or doesn't know bugtracker.
4) Trying to update/add stuffs for admins.
5) Declaring the version is now feature freeze and maybe inviting more people to test the dev version.
6) After a while, preparing the release (doc, installer, translations, etc.)
7) Releasing finally the shit and dying in peace.
8) Announcing future release will be on a rolling cycle, like SourceMod, because it makes sense.
9) And after that, that would a great step.

meTaLiCroSS 08-16-2017 18:01

I'll be glad to test the latest dev version, but I'm honest saying there are a lot of changes and I don't know from where I can start. I discovered a few issues on newmenues but after doing a large research on its code, I'm not imaginating how awful will be the entire changes. So, dont you have a list with things to test? I mean, something possible broken, new algorithms, etc

aron9forever 08-19-2017 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkshine (Post 2542015)
3) Opening Issues tab on Github because everyone hates or doesn't know bugtracker.

:bacon!::bacon!::bacon!::bacon!:

WhiteFang1319 08-24-2017 08:32

Thank you for your responses. I've been using it for 2-3 weeks and in my experience it's been stable so far.

pakgamerz 08-25-2017 17:51

yes it works fine. i am using the rehlds companion. re_amxmodx version 7.

might help

pakgamerz 08-29-2017 14:02

why it says that reamxmodx is obsolute and i use 1.8.3 why?

can some one explain?

klippy 08-29-2017 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by pakgamerz (Post 2545161)
why it says that reamxmodx is obsolute and i use 1.8.3 why?

can some one explain?

Among a few other reasons, it's because ReAMXX existed to provide support for ReHLDS and ReGameDLL_CS, but recently AMXX 1.8.3 has received support for those too, so there is no need to use ReAMXX.
You can read more about it here: https://github.com/alliedmodders/amxmodx/pull/417

addons_zz 09-10-2017 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkshine (Post 2542015)
Well, it's not that simple.

The next version is 1.9. It's a major version and it's expected to have a lot of changes.

I think changing the number from 1.8 to 1.9 is minor update. Changing it from 1.8 to 2.0 is a major update:

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://semver.org/
Given a version number MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, increment the:
  1. MAJOR version when you make incompatible API changes,
  2. MINOR version when you add functionality in a backwards-compatible manner, and
  3. PATCH version when you make backwards-compatible bug fixes.
Additional labels for pre-release and build metadata are available as extensions to the MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH format.

Looking on the numbering definitions seems the next AMXX version will be 1.9, which is a minor version as it adds functionality in a backwards-compatible manner. Unless there are incompatible API changes, then the next version would be 2.0