AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   cs-editor: ingame map editing mod (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=214920)

Backup 05-01-2013 10:16

cs-editor: ingame map editing mod

Hi everyone,
I'm back with another crazy plugin/module. This time I made a mod, where you can create your own map using counter-strike (or any other hl1 mod) as map editor. If you watch the video you should get a better idea how it looks and feels:
Video.
For more detailed view take a look at some screenshots:
Screenshot: map in editor; exported to .map and loaded in VHE; compiled .bsp in CS.
Screenshot: entity properties.
Screenshot: early dev. texture browser.

So what do you think? Should i continue developing it? Would you "play" it? :)

pokemonmaster 05-01-2013 10:25

Re: cs-editor: ingame map editing mod

AMAZING!
You should always continue developing something new :)

Keep up the good work!

Xalus 05-01-2013 10:56

If its possible to edit existing maps with this, it would be badass.

joropito 05-01-2013 11:52

Let me understand how it works.

You edit the map using a library of models/textures then you export to a compilable file to make those entities to be brush entities (in a compiled bsp file)?

Backup 05-01-2013 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xalus (Post 1943746)
If its possible to edit existing maps with this, it would be badass.

Sadly decompiling (or recompiling) maps is quite difficult thing to do. I already wrote one decompiler by myslef, but it decompiled the map into bunch of pyramids (face and vertex). Decompiling it into brushes would be quite challenging.
Quote:

Originally Posted by joropito (Post 1943786)
You edit the map using a library of models/textures then you export to a compilable file to make those entities to be brush entities (in a compiled bsp file)?

Exactly. All you see in the editor are models. All these models (well, not models, but objects stored in memory) are then saved to map and compiled to bsp.

.Dare Devil. 05-01-2013 15:06

I think that will be good for peoples who dont know how to create map with valve hammer but it is alot easier and better to make maps in valve hammer.
People just think that making maps in valve hammer is so damn hard but in actuality lie.
It is only rumor, you just need to try it by yourself.

Xalus 05-01-2013 15:33

Or adding walls in existing maps would be very nice to.

Tho, editing map (for some jailbreak maps and all) would be the best

thesnakebiter 05-01-2013 17:31

Wow, incredible, you must continue with that plugin, is amazing. GJ

XINLEI 05-03-2013 19:08

A question. Xan you create a map from scratch with this?
This is amazing. Maybe post it in TWHL or gamebanana for a better insight of this. Again this is amazing.

commonbullet 05-04-2013 22:23

Crazy stuff, awesome work.
I think it's not very useful for building maps though. It's very hard to build worlds using 3d view exclusively. Showing proper menus, selecting objects, resizing, cutting, hollowing is very easy in a cad software like hammer; it would be a pain to bring these features into your plugin and still it wouldn't have a proper user interface.

If you are going on with it, here are some suggestions:
- You could add (if you haven't yet) some predefined buildings - I don't know how hard it would be to place them into the world though. This would be an indispensable feature in this plugin IMO.
- There could be a way to store and resume "editors" position - it would be useful on larger maps.