AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   Source Servers (SRCDS) (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   [CSGO] Is usage more effected by slot or server count? (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=314952)

ghostofmybrain 03-14-2019 21:34

[CSGO] Is usage more effected by slot or server count?

For example, do two 5-slot servers use appreciably more resources than a single 10 slot server? What about 10 2-slot servers vs a 20 slot server?

sneaK 03-15-2019 12:49

Re: [CSGO] Is usage more effected by slot or server count?

In my experience, a single higher slot server filled to capacity would objectively use more CPU than 2 filled servers with half the slot count.

ghostofmybrain 03-15-2019 13:46

so they say "one server per core", but that's assuming a 16-20 slot server. So do you think I could reasonably run more than 8-10 two-slot servers on a single core?

sneaK 03-15-2019 16:05

Depends on your core speed, but if it's good that's a safe assumption.

ghostofmybrain 03-15-2019 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneaK (Post 2643486)
Depends on your core speed, but if it's good that's a safe assumption.

Well I'm just thinking about basically on the same core. Like right now I have a 16 shot serve that runs great, so I could expect to put 8+ two-slot servers on the same core instead.

Lubricant Jam 03-19-2019 06:04

You've also got to note that typically srcds gets automatically bounced from core to core dependent on its usage unless you bind it to a dedicated core.

My server is an 8 core machine turbo'd to 5Ghz and I have around 15 servers all ranging from 40 slots to 10 slots and runs happily when theoretically I should be only be able to run 8 according to this theory.

Don't assign servers cores, let the OS do its work managing this and only testing will tell how stable your server can be.

wolvez04 03-19-2019 06:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lubricant Jam (Post 2643999)
You've also got to note that typically srcds gets automatically bounced from core to core dependent on its usage unless you bind it to a dedicated core.

My server is an 8 core machine turbo'd to 5Ghz and I have around 15 servers all ranging from 40 slots to 10 slots and runs happily when theoretically I should be only be able to run 8 according to this theory.

Don't assign servers cores, let the OS do its work managing this and only testing will tell how stable your server can be.

From previously not binding cores I had issues with lag/rubber banding when its switching core.

Lubricant Jam 03-19-2019 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolvez04 (Post 2644003)
From previously not binding cores I had issues with lag/rubber banding when its switching core.

Never had such issue, which OS and distro?

Linux, Ubuntu 16.04 has never faulted me.

pequla 03-20-2019 03:48

Dude i use Pentium G4560 with 8GB ram and intel 545s ssd + gt710 (simply not to use my ram for vram)

I run 7 servers with 24 slots, never had lag, i use Ubuntu Server 18.04LTS and systemctl services to run my servers on startup, tho for some reason i need ed to use raspberrrypi3 for fast dl, since that apache2 server causes lag

ghostofmybrain 03-20-2019 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by pequla (Post 2644094)
Dude i use Pentium G4560 with 8GB ram and intel 545s ssd + gt710 (simply not to use my ram for vram)

I run 7 servers with 24 slots, never had lag, i use Ubuntu Server 18.04LTS and systemctl services to run my servers on startup, tho for some reason i need ed to use raspberrrypi3 for fast dl, since that apache2 server causes lag

What? Is this somehow related to the conversation?