AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   Source Servers (SRCDS) (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Server Multithread/Core use (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=236106)

friedensstifter 02-27-2014 08:43

Server Multithread/Core use

Hey Friendz,

this is my second Thread and i never can get enough input to find a solution for my problem.

To my Server-Specs:
i7 950
24 GB RAM
1GBit Ethernet
Debian 7

Running Software on the Server:
Apache (no page hosted, only for Fastdownload)
MySQL (Only for Admin-Management)
Teamspeak 3
1x CS-GO-Server (20 Slots/Tick 128 )

Server works really fine with up to 18 Players. But over this Server sv breaks down to red.

What i noticed:
CPU load is near 100% in case of full server
Only 3 GB RAM are used
3GB of RAM = 32 Bit srcds, no Problem
CPU load: Only one core is loaded with nearly 100%, 7 cores are near 1% or have no load
There are some srcds processes, but only 1 shows load

What i tried:
- srcds as realtime process
- reniced srcds to -19
- taskset srcds to core 4,5,6,7
- every process is assigned to cpu 0, reset with taskset via cronjob for cs:go every 5 minutes

Result:
Core 4 is fully loaded with 100%, Server doesnt run better

So i read about multithread possibility of srcds with cvars:
+host_thread_mode 2 +threadpool_affinity 0

I have no idea if this changes something, i'll give it a try. but my hope is near zero, that this will be successfull.

So, i'm new to Linux. But i have some questions/ideas:
- Is there any way to disable Hyperthreading on my CPU? I think i have to compile a new kernel for this. But will this bring reduced cpu load?
- Can i Group some Cores to a "Virtual Mega Core" (by software) so that this core shows to srcds as one core, but manages itself to balance load to different cores? (I mean, i group Core 4,5,6,7 to one new core, for this example i call this corporation of Cores Core 8. Than i set srcds via taskset to use core 8. Srcds now works on core 8, but the load can be 4 times heavier to get 100% cpu load, because there are 4 cores that balance the load? So if there is small load, only core 4 is working, but if server gets full, it manages itself to divide load on all four cores?)

I know, my english is so bad, but u r my only help so far :-)

Thanks for answers
friedensstifter

WildCard65 02-27-2014 11:17

Re: Server Multithread/Core use

As far as I know, srcds ain't threaded.

Bacardi 02-27-2014 11:32

Intel HT = Hyper Threading, go disable from BIOS.

stay.pista 02-27-2014 13:08

Srcds eninge ONLY SIMPLE CORE using :(((

bcs16cluj 04-22-2015 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by stay.pista (Post 2105038)
Srcds eninge ONLY SIMPLE CORE using :(((

are you sure?does anybody know how to assign csgo to multiple cores!?

Amroth 04-22-2015 15:20

Windows OS.

Look at bigger slots server (64 slots) they use Windows because multi-core support.

bcs16cluj 04-22-2015 16:09

i use linux centos i tried taskset and works for me:

# taskset -c 0,1,2,3,4 -p 13761

e54385991 04-22-2015 16:35

1 Attachment(s)
USE Windows OS
https://forums.alliedmods.net/attach...1&d=1429734928

VoiDeD 04-22-2015 18:59

Please do not post misinformation, especially if you're not familiar with the workings of srcds. The operating system you use to host source servers is largely irrelevant.

Source servers are primarily single threaded. The majority of game logic (including SM plugin logic) will only occur on the main game thread, but there is some amount of parallelization that is done with threadpool workers during entity encoding.

That said, forcing specific thread/process affinity is just asking for trouble. Your operating system is considerably more clever than you are and will make the proper thread scheduling decisions without needing any hints, and you'll likely hurt your instruction throughput by making poor affinity decisions.

DarkDeviL 04-23-2015 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amroth (Post 2289119)
Look at bigger slots server (64 slots) they use Windows because multi-core support.

So, Mr. Windows fan, what kind of evidence do you have to backup your *INCORRECT* facts?

From the first page of GameTracker (and only 64 slot servers counted):

For CS:GO there are 7 servers; 5 servers running Linux, and *ONLY* 2 running Windows.
For CS:S there are 14 servers; 13 of them running Linux, and *ONLY* 1 running Windows.

I guess this explains that we can change your phrase to "A very limited number use Windows, where the majority is running on Linux".

That phrase is definitely not the same as "They use".

Quote:

Originally Posted by VoiDeD (Post 2289186)
Please do not post misinformation, especially if you're not familiar with the workings of srcds.

+1. (and that +1 is not only specific to srcds). ;)