AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   HL1 Servers (HLDS) (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Solved HLDS times out after refreshing to many times (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=337848)

Infamanious 05-20-2022 04:54

HLDS times out after refreshing to many times

My server appears to be timing out periodically and disappearing from the public server browser list. Server has established connection to steam servers. Server will timeout after refreshing via the server status window (where you can select join and see your ping). The maximum amount of times you can hit refresh is about 5 or 7 times and then the servers public ip times out ( lan ip is still working). It takes about 10 minutes for the server to pop up on the public servers list again. This problem started to occur after my ISP changed my ip due to what i presume was a DDOS attack. Is there a way i can refresh my server status an unlimited amount of times like other servers on the server list?

ports are forwarded correctly to my ipv4 internal lan ip
Recently had an IP change from my isp after weird ddos
problem occurred after IP change
tried : max_queries_sec 16 ( pretty sure htis will work after i figure out why my server keeps timing out on the server list )
max_queries_sec_global 64
max_queries_window 256

Tried different ports like 27016 and even 27185
Disabled windows firewall
would try DMZ but my router is weird nonetheless everything was working dandy before my isp intervened. Possible ddos mitigation / block from their send?

problem solved : I was having this problem on windows. Set router for Passthrough, DHCPS fixed. I had no idea DMZ was called ip passthrough lol. So why was the server still functional even though pass through was off? I still managed to have those ports forwarded and my internal ip didnt change or anything. note: this was the error that displayed in the server console after a few hours of the server being up : CreateBoundSocket: ::bind returned error [no name available](10049)

DJEarthQuake 05-20-2022 05:06

Re: HLDS times out after refreshing to many times

This is same thing as this thread. https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=337804

Infamanious 05-20-2022 05:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJEarthQuake (Post 2779783)

I thought that as well but this guy seems to have immediately encountered this problem after creating said servers. I've had this server going without this problem until my isp changed my IP after a ddos attack. Everything client side is set and im even getting a "established connection to steam servers" on my server console. Is there a way to verify in the server console if im connected after the fact?

DJEarthQuake 05-20-2022 05:42

What are your cvars set to please?

Infamanious 05-20-2022 05:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJEarthQuake (Post 2779787)
What are your cvars set to please?

max_queries_sec 16
max_queries_window 256

DJEarthQuake 05-20-2022 05:56

Use DMZ.

Infamanious 05-20-2022 06:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJEarthQuake (Post 2779790)
Use DMZ.

Will do. Thanks for the help.

DJEarthQuake 05-20-2022 06:09

Hope some of that helps. Were the max_queries CVARs ever touched?

Infamanious 05-20-2022 06:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJEarthQuake (Post 2779794)
Hope some of that helps. Were the max_queries CVARs ever touched?

no, they were default if im not mistaken. I think it might be ISP side but im not sure. My server is available publicly its just not showing up on the steam servers list. Unless its not updating for me specifically, then im not entirely sure.

Infamanious 05-20-2022 06:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infamanious (Post 2779796)
no, they were default if im not mistaken. I think the problem might be ISP side but im not sure. My server is available publicly its just not showing up on the steam servers list. Unless its not updating for me specifically, then im not entirely sure again lol.

Infamanious 05-20-2022 06:19

something to note: if i refresh myserver by clicking the refresh button on the status window it will timeout and no longer show up on the public server list. Then, if i increment the host port and port up by 1 and restart the server it will display on the public server list again. I can keep refreshing the entire 'public server' lists and it will keep displaying and not timeout but once again if i personally refresh my specific server via the status window it will timeout and no longer display on the public server list. Also i checked on gameservers and according to their site its status is online. Is it possible that its still visible for others except me? ( still visible right now in public servers list unless i personally click on it and refresh)

Weird thing is i have these cvars set in my server.cfg and this in my servers start.bat file / hlds parameters -exec server.cfg but i can't query the server more than 10 times?
max_queries_sec 50
max_queries_window 256

DJEarthQuake 05-20-2022 12:07

I would remove setting those CVARs on launch or anywhere until this is resolved.

One could be inadvertently truncating to max_queries_sec 5 and hard-coding it.

e.g.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJEarthQuake (Post 2681894)
Do not put sys_ticrate in command line start up otherwise HLDS is stuck at that rate!!

Re-validate max_queries_sec etc from console please.

Some other config from maps could play a role.
Does your firewall have residual from your old IP in there anywhere?

Infamanious 05-20-2022 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJEarthQuake (Post 2779813)
I would remove setting those CVARs on launch or anywhere until this is resolved.

One could be inadvertently truncating to max_queries_sec 5 and hard-coding it.

e.g.

Re-validate max_queries_sec etc from console please.

Some other config from maps could play a role.
Does your firewall have residual from your old IP in there anywhere?

max_queries_sec defaulted to 3.0
Removed sys ticrate
firewall is off

will check back once i get more time for some better diagnostics

DJEarthQuake 05-20-2022 17:54

These are the defaults.
max_queries_sec 16
max_queries_window 256

When validating each cvar that is how it should look on freshly started server.

Getting 3.0 means you still have some smeg in there.

Infamanious 05-22-2022 05:47

Performed more diagnostics with an AWS windows vm. I can confirm my ip is still publicly available and displays on the public server list even after my current issues. The problem for my host machine ( my computer thats running hlds) is i can't refresh my server under the 'view server info' dialogue box more than 5 or 7 times without the server timing out on my end. Then the server will no longer display on the server list however i can still connect to that external ip through the console via connect external:port. Im guessing this is only possible because im technically connecting to lan considering my lan ip is displayed under status in console. In the AWS vm the server is listed even though its unlisted on my machine. In order to resolve the server list issue on my end i have to either restart my server and wait or change my port number ( changing the port resolves the issue immediately).... same weird problem happens with my fastdownloadurl. I cant download from that but the AWS vm can.

DJEarthQuake 05-23-2022 05:11

Starting a new server just to see it on the list for 2 sec is hard to fathom. If max_queries_sec is different than 16, and it is not in a config perhaps it is a forgotten server startup parameter. A new profile and server would do a guy some good IMHO just to test.

Infamanious 05-23-2022 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJEarthQuake (Post 2779990)
Starting a new server just to see it on the list for 2 sec is hard to fathom. If max_queries_sec is different than 16, and it is not in a config perhaps it is a forgotten server startup parameter. A new profile and server would do a guy some good IMHO just to test.

Certainly. IM in the process of cleaning out my old server and transitioning to a new linux platform.

DJEarthQuake 05-24-2022 15:50

Glad you got a clear path now. Rebuild sometimes is inevitable.