AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   Coding MM:S Plugins & SM Extensions (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   How do you replace the default MOTD w/one displayed by a plugin? (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=50282)

Geesu 01-23-2007 04:31

How do you replace the default MOTD w/one displayed by a plugin?

As the title states...

I don't need code, was just wondering what the logic behind it is. I know how to display MOTDs and such.

TY!
Josh

L. Duke 01-23-2007 11:58

Re: How do you replace the default MOTD w/one displayed by a plugin?

The easiest way would probably be to just change the "motd" string in the InfoPanel string table.

I assume you want to change the client command that is sent also though. I've had a number of requests for changing the default MOTD and adding a "connect x.x.x.x:27016" client command for redirect. Someone has done it, but not released it publicly. I assume if this becomes a common usage that Valve will block it like they did the cl_restrict_server_commands cvar in an MOTD client command.

I'm not sure how it was done. It's possible you could hook CCSPlayer::ShowViewPortPanel(char const*, bool, KeyValues*) and determine if it was the MOTD or not (if there is a "type" key set to TYPE_INDEX then it would be a MOTD window from either the game or a plugin).

Another method might be to hook the engine's UserMessageBegin and MessageEnd and parse the bf_write for any ""VGUIMenu" messages to see if it is an MOTD or not, and if so if the stringtable it is showing is "motd" but this is a little more complicated.

opi123 01-24-2007 00:13

Duke... lol

opi123 01-24-2007 00:15

Quote:

I assume you want to change the client command that is sent also though. I've had a number of requests for changing the default MOTD and adding a "connect x.x.x.x:27016" client command for redirect. Someone has done it, but not released it publicly. I assume if this becomes a common usage that Valve will block it like they did the cl_restrict_server_commands cvar in an MOTD client command.
that's interesting

xXxcon 01-29-2007 13:14

so duke are you saying your cl_restrict_server program is not working?

i have found a redirector that is working at

72.91.27.75:28028 RN: Memorial Hospital
and it appears to use your motd cl_restrict prograsm, but i cannot seem to get it to work

L. Duke 01-29-2007 13:23

They probably used the same method, maybe even my source code, and changed the part that used to reset the cl_restrict cvar to a "connect x.x.x.x" command.

I wouldn't get too excited about being able to redirect in this fashion. Valve is aware that this is being done, and I would bet money that they will be blocking it in a future update.