AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   News (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   AlliedModders now on GitHub (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=241057)

BAILOPAN 05-26-2014 22:41

AlliedModders now on GitHub

Hi, everyone. I'm excited to announce that the source code for our major projects is now officially hosted on GitHub!

The world of source control has changed a lot since we started in 2004, and every few years we re-evaluate what tools might be best for the job. GitHub is unique in having a huge community, friendly user interface, and the capability to integrate with our existing tools. We're confident it will ensure a longer life for our projects by offering visibility and accessibility outside of our infrastructure - not just for us, but for contributors as well.

The following repositories are now live:The corresponding Mercurial repositories will no longer be updated.

We will continue to use Bugzilla for bug reporting, issue tracking, and technical communication. For patches to projects, pull requests via GitHub are preferred, and most PRs will not need corresponding bug reports. But often an idea may be large, complex, or contentious - and then it's best to open up discussion early so when the PR is ready, it is more likely to be accepted.

We've also prepared a short Git Tutorial on the wiki.

As always, thanks for your support! And special thanks to Nephyrin for helping us with the transition.

deathkilla 05-26-2014 23:41

Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

That's great news!

Good Job!

Sillium 05-27-2014 02:00

Keep up the good work! :bacon!:

Impact123 05-27-2014 02:49

I'm really happy about that.

Powerlord 05-27-2014 10:44

The only issue I can see here now is that we no longer have separate repositories for each HL2SDK, plus the central and releases branch of MM:S and SourceMod are now just branches of each other.

This makes it trickier to switch between them unless we intentionally check out the same project multiple times, meaning we now have a much, much, much larger file size footprint to deal with.
Edit 2: Apparently it's possible to just check out a specific branch, but it takes extra time to do this from a non-command-line client.

Edit: Incidentally, git doesn't store revision number, how will this change how builds are numbered?

KyleS 05-27-2014 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powerlord (Post 2143074)
Edit: Incidentally, git doesn't store revision number, how will this change how builds are numbered?

Code:

git rev-list --count HEAD
It might not be linear; but it still functions.

BAILOPAN 05-27-2014 12:40

You might want to take a look at checkout-deps.sh from sourcemod/tools. It grabs one copy of the HL2SDK and then clones it locally for each branch. It should result in 400MB of traffic instead of 7GB and around the same space used as before.

I don't understand your other problem since with Mercurial you had to check out multiple repositories to grab release/central versions.

BAILOPAN 05-27-2014 12:45

As Kyle said the build numbers still increase monotonically, but build numbers have essentially been useless since we moved off Subversion. They're mostly there as a short substitute for time stamps.

ecca 05-27-2014 12:59

Awesome , i like to browse git more than any other :)

Seta00 05-27-2014 13:50

Quote:

This makes it trickier to switch between them unless we intentionally check out the same project multiple times, meaning we now have a much, much, much larger file size footprint to deal with.

You can probably use the git-new-workdir thingie to have checkouts of different branches from a single repo, which should use about the same disk space as the Mercurial setup.

Good luck if you're on Windows though :P

Impact123 05-27-2014 13:57

Quote:

git doesn't store revision number, how will this change how builds are numbered?

Build tools like jenkins (i'm sure buildbot too) provide a build counter for that, if not, this can easily be done with a little script.
I don't think that this should depend on the used vcs, i mean, it's a build number, not a revision count, thus it should be taken care of by the build system.
This bug has a little bit more info about what bailopan was telling about.

Powerlord 05-27-2014 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAILOPAN (Post 2143119)
You might want to take a look at checkout-deps.sh from sourcemod/tools. It grabs one copy of the HL2SDK and then clones it locally for each branch. It should result in 400MB of traffic instead of 7GB and around the same space used as before.

I don't understand your other problem since with Mercurial you had to check out multiple repositories to grab release/central versions.

I was under the impression that git pulled down all revisions when you cloned a repo, but apparently it only does that on a --mirror.

Also, checkout_deps doesn't seem to update ambuild if it's out of date, only clone it if it's not installed, then install it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impact123 (Post 2143171)
Build tools like jenkins (i'm sure buildbot too) provide a build counter for that, if not, this can easily be done with a little script.
I don't think that this should depend on the used vcs, i mean, it's a build number, not a revision count, thus it should be taken care of by the build system.
This bug has a little bit more info about what bailopan was telling about.

Actually, it isn't the build number, it's the revision number. You can see the actual build number on the waterfall page... but be aware that it's different per-platform.

Drixevel 05-27-2014 14:50

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-conten...o_dicaprio.gif

Impact123 05-27-2014 15:57

@Powerlord
I meant that imo it should be, but i'm sure they will find the best way to do this.

xXRogueCoderXx 05-27-2014 16:14

Quote:

Git stores a hash of each commit that's used as the Id for the commit.
You can also tag revisions in Git with a version number, so your point is invalid.
Most Git version numbers look like [Tag]-[Short-Revision] Ex: 1.3.9-a7f9b77c1

Powerlord 05-27-2014 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXRogueCoderXx (Post 2143228)
Git stores a hash of each commit that's used as the Id for the commit.

I'm well aware of this. Incidentally, don't use that code, it's not done yet and will probably be tossed and/or reworked anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXRogueCoderXx (Post 2143228)
You can also tag revisions in Git with a version number, so your point is invalid.
Most Git version numbers look like [Tag]-[Short-Revision] Ex: 1.3.9-a7f9b77c1

SourceMod's code doesn't rely on tags. It doesn't help that Git's tools treat lightweight tags and annotated tags differently... as you'll no doubt find out if you ever only use lightweight tags and then try to use git describe (it will claim your project has no tags).

Mr Pyro 05-27-2014 20:38

hi bailopan, i have a question off topic.
What happend to the site "www.create-servers.com" its been offline for a while.
Is he ever come back? There were Many usefull things there.
Would been such a loss that evrything is gone

YamiKaitou 05-27-2014 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Pyro (Post 2143303)
hi bailopan, i have a question off topic.
What happend to the site "www.create-servers.com" its been offline for a while.
Is he ever come back? There were Many usefull things there.
Would been such a loss that evrything is gone

That site is not run by AlliedModders, so there is nothing we can do about it.

rhelgeby 05-30-2014 06:27

This is good news!

Are you going to switch branching workflow too? Maybe to something like this one: http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

What is the master branch? Does it represent a stable version ready for production at any time, or a development version?

I recommend developers to have a look at SmartGit (free to use for open source projects). It's very useful to view changes and logs. I use it in combination with the command line.

Powerlord 05-30-2014 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhelgeby (Post 2144352)
This is good news!

Are you going to switch branching workflow too? Maybe to something like this one: http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

What is the master branch? Does it represent a stable version ready for production at any time, or a development version?

I recommend developers to have a look at SmartGit (free to use for open source projects). It's very useful to view changes and logs. I use it in combination with the command line.

The master branch is what used to be called sourcemod-central (the 1.6 branch) under hg.alliedmodders.net.

asherkin 05-30-2014 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhelgeby (Post 2144352)

I don't think a convention like this works for projects where the repository isn't usable for end-users out of the box, in a case like SourceMod where it's solely developer oriented, having master be the correct branch for development makes the most sense.

For something like a web application, or even a standalone C++ application, where installing it is equivalent to cloning the repo it makes complete sense to get a production release by default, not so much when you have to also get a mountain of dependencies, compile everything, and then move the binaries elsewhere (and likely to a completely different machine).

selax 05-31-2014 08:58

GitHub its cool! Great job!

Krillin 05-31-2014 12:42

Very disappointed in this news being as packages are not ready for downloading and a user will have to download files one by one? I am sorry, but this is far from the normal way of getting the updates. Unless you guys are coming up with an auto update feature, we are going to have to drop use of this mod due to the unease of downloading of packages. Will keep using a snapshot build until it can no longer be used then we are done with any project which moves to GitHub. Ridicule me if you will, but when ever we have dealt with GitHub, getting files for packages has been too time consuming to get the complete package.

Thanks for the memories.

Powerlord 05-31-2014 13:09

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krillin (Post 2144870)
Very disappointed in this news being as packages are not ready for downloading and a user will have to download files one by one? I am sorry, but this is far from the normal way of getting the updates. Unless you guys are coming up with an auto update feature, we are going to have to drop use of this mod due to the unease of downloading of packages. Will keep using a snapshot build until it can no longer be used then we are done with any project which moves to GitHub. Ridicule me if you will, but when ever we have dealt with GitHub, getting files for packages has been too time consuming to get the complete package.

Thanks for the memories.

New snapshot builds are added every time the code changes, which is how it's always worked.

As for downloading the entire source tree...
https://forums.alliedmods.net/attach...3&d=1401556148

asherkin 05-31-2014 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krillin (Post 2144870)

Thanks for the memories.

Nothing has changed from a user perspective, you'll still download releases and snapshots from SourceMod.net. Just like you never needed to touch hg.alliedmods.net, you never need to touch GitHub to use SourceMod.

xf117 06-02-2014 05:05

Were there any benefits? So far i only see people complaining and searching for complicated workarounds for things that were natural and easy in the past

psychonic 06-02-2014 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by xf117 (Post 2145662)
Were there any benefits? So far i only see people complaining and searching for complicated workarounds for things that were natural and easy in the past

I see one instance of confusing, a developer trying to figure out how to adjust to the new workflow, and two complaints. Of those two complaints, one was completely offtopic and unrelated to this, and the other seemed to be a nonsensical rant based on some bad assumptions. All other comments are positive.

With moving to git, we have a better workflow now for development. Through GitHub, the project gets more exposure, and it's much easier for users to contribute to SM. Since the switch, I think that there have already been at least two commits by people that had never contributed patches before. It is also much easier for other to merge those requests, changing a multi-step process to a single button click.

xf117 06-02-2014 12:34

I remember in the past couple of people were asking about switching to git and they were treated kinda cold: like - the whole community uses HG and no reason to mix things up.

Sorry for passive-agressive comment, i still prefer HG over git. Still, it is a good thing if it benefits the project :)

psychonic 06-02-2014 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by xf117 (Post 2145829)
I remember in the past couple of people were asking about switching to git and they were treated kinda cold: like - the whole community uses HG and no reason to mix things up.

Sorry for passive-agressive comment, i still prefer HG over git. Still, it is a good thing if it benefits the project :)

I still prefer HG as well, but much of that is because I'm not terribly familiar with git yet.

Most of the other devs are, and I saw this as a good opportunity to learn, in addition to the other benefits.

rhelgeby 06-02-2014 17:23

Although Git has a steeper learning curve, I think Git is much better than Mercurial once you get to know it. Far more superior regarding branching and lots of other stuff.

Nefarius 06-04-2014 15:20

Great choice, thanks guys!

foo bar 06-10-2014 02:44

Oh this is excellent news, thank you very much!

Krillin 06-11-2014 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powerlord (Post 2144878)
New snapshot builds are added every time the code changes, which is how it's always worked.

As for downloading the entire source tree...
https://forums.alliedmods.net/attach...3&d=1401556148

I never noticed this before? Music to my eyes. So my question is, when is the next update coming out. MySQL has been broken for over two months now. Yet, nothing is being developed to get this back on track except this move. This is not moving forward and correcting the changes in the newer MySQL engine. As my Source Servers have been without admins, yeah including myself, as I refuse to use the flat-file to maintain server admins...

Quote:

Originally Posted by asherkin (Post 2144952)
Nothing has changed from a user perspective, you'll still download releases and snapshots from SourceMod.net. Just like you never needed to touch hg.alliedmods.net, you never need to touch GitHub to use SourceMod.

So when is the next release coming? This has been urgent for us more so than anything else. I am glad this will streamline releases but this is not correcting a MySQL error we are getting with a snapshot release being as our servers were forced to get this when an update broke the 1.5.3 release and the newest MySQL Server.

Best Regards,
Krillin

asherkin 06-12-2014 04:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krillin (Post 2150139)
MySQL has been broken for over two months now. Yet, nothing is being developed to get this back on track except this move. This is not moving forward and correcting the changes in the newer MySQL engine. As my Source Servers have been without admins, yeah including myself, as I refuse to use the flat-file to maintain server admins...

There aren't any known compatibility issues with any MySQL server version, so obviously it's not something we're working on.

Did you file a bug? If so, please link it, it may have just fallen through the cracks (I can't find any open bugs you've opened or are CCed on though).

Uweeda.pl 06-12-2014 04:46

Good luck!

API 06-12-2014 11:37

This is great news :)

ps: hai bail <3

crasx 06-14-2014 16:46

you have made me a very happy coder. Thank you

Maxximou5 06-16-2014 17:20

This is awesome! What a great addition to waterfall pages.

CyberStars 06-25-2014 03:08

Why changelog is synced with "sourcemod-1.5 branch" not with "master branch" or "sourcemod-1.6 branch"???

asherkin 06-25-2014 03:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberStars (Post 2156995)
Why changelog is synced with "sourcemod-1.5 branch" not with "master branch" or "sourcemod-1.6 branch"???

The in-repo changelog is updated upon release, and there hasn't been any release of sourcemod-1.6 or master (1.7) yet.