AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Does decompiling maps degrade them? (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=340814)

GlobalPlague 12-11-2022 23:36

Does decompiling maps degrade them?

If I decompile maps to edit them and then compile them again, will that cause degradation and make some elements not working?

If I decompile a map, edit it and compile it again, will it be 100% working just as it was before I decompiled it?

Bacardi 12-12-2022 10:11

Re: Does decompiling maps degrade them?

decompile tools are not perfect so, all maps would not transform 100% right.

Ark_Procession 12-12-2022 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlobalPlague (Post 2795018)
If I decompile maps to edit them and then compile them again, will that cause degradation and make some elements not working?

If I decompile a map, edit it and compile it again, will it be 100% working just as it was before I decompiled it?

Hi, Map dev here.

As other users says, it will note be the same.

There are certain tips to decompiling a map for HL/CS/CZ that makes the process easier.
First make sure you are authorized to decompile a map.
You may strip some entities and brushworks from the bsp first.

Making a map is a lot of work, but i would recommend if you try to create an alternative from an existing map and you have permission, then 100% decompile it and work from there.
That will help a lot with scales and dimensions.

In no scenario even fy_iceworld, a small map, will decompile and recompile just fine.
Many things are not decompiled correctly or change, and some of the things the map needs may be missing from your system.

GlobalPlague 12-14-2022 04:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacardi (Post 2795038)
decompile tools are not perfect so, all maps would not transform 100% right.

Alright.

GlobalPlague 12-14-2022 04:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ark_Procession (Post 2795063)
Hi, Map dev here.

As other users says, it will note be the same.

There are certain tips to decompiling a map for HL/CS/CZ that makes the process easier.
First make sure you are authorized to decompile a map.
You may strip some entities and brushworks from the bsp first.

Making a map is a lot of work, but i would recommend if you try to create an alternative from an existing map and you have permission, then 100% decompile it and work from there.
That will help a lot with scales and dimensions.

In no scenario even fy_iceworld, a small map, will decompile and recompile just fine.
Many things are not decompiled correctly or change, and some of the things the map needs may be missing from your system.

So, the bigger the map is, the more errors I will get if I try to decompile and recompile it? Only small maps can be decompiled and recompiled?

What elements can't be decompiled and recompiled correctly? If you have a working button, will that button still function, if the map is decompiled and recompiled?

For example, if I decompile and recompile zm_ice_attack3, what elements won't work properly after recompilation?

I would like to know what functions break and can't work, if if map they are implemented in is decompiled and recompiled. :)

Bacardi 12-14-2022 04:56

Those are difficult questions.
Why not you try it yourself? But test map a lot before you upload edited map (with a new name) to all players.

Tollu 12-28-2022 05:54

When you start decompiling the cards, stop for a second and think "What do I want to do?" Read attached TXT files. Sometimes, they contain the developer's e-mail, which can help more than you imagine.

GlobalPlague 01-02-2023 02:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tollu (Post 2796117)
When you start decompiling the cards, stop for a second and think "What do I want to do?" Read attached TXT files. Sometimes, they contain the developer's e-mail, which can help more than you imagine.

Thanks for the advice. I no longer want to decompile maps.

Initially, i wanted to decompile some maps to learn how they are built. It turned out that working with VHE is very easy and i don't want to learn things in details. Eventually, i decided to start building my map from scratch. :)

ChillerX 01-16-2023 17:09

Sorry to hi-jack this but is there a way to somehow optimize maps without doing the above mentioned exercise?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlobalPlague (Post 2796359)
Thanks for the advice. I no longer want to decompile maps.

:D :D :D

Kloredas 02-24-2023 06:03

wow